Cali Bear

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Any sugestions on how to go about spot and stock, or other meathods for bear hunting? I've never had a bear tag before and plan on hunting the X zones and maybe D3-5. Any input would be great! Thanx

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
I've spot and stalked several bears in the Golden State over the years. Many have been at timberline areas in the Northern portion of the state, but I've also bowhunted them in timbered or sage type areas in the Sierras and Southern Cal mountains. I've never hunted them with dogs, but I imagine that method is probably the most reliable. Key to hunting them with any style is locating areas with a lot of sign.

Here's some photos of a P&Y caliber black bear I stalked in on in the Sierras (X-12). Wish it was a week later in the month, I would have arrowed him at 12 yards.

Virginia Lakes July 08 030.jpgVirginia Lakes July 08 027.jpgVirginia Lakes July 08 028.jpg

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have a buddy of mine that is a Gov trapper and has great bear dogs so that is a possibility. Anyone try preditor calls?

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Last year I hunted D5 and X8 for deer. I saw 7 bears between the two zones. Send me a PM If you want some more details on some specific areas.

JNDEER

Mar 11, 2011
Hunt them the same way you would deer for spot and stalk.

Most bears I have seen in the D3-5 area's like the thick, cool timber canyons during the day (never hunted them above timber line). If you find such a canyon (with bear sign as BOHNTR stated) glass it a lot at first and last light.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
When they come into season, hunt the areas with the salmon berries. The bears love these little berries. I have seen them hit the berries at all times of the day light hours. You will notice their scat more because the berries give them the runs.