cache/meadowville

steve6x6

Sep 2, 2014
Hi everyone. My wife has drawn a cache/meadowville elk tag and I'm hoping that someone may be able to help me with a little info. I understand there is plenty of private ground s that are a good deal of money.I have done some research and I found some options on public land along with walk in access. Any ideas/areas that I might try would be great help. Thanks

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Hey Steve. Welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here and lots of great info. Head over to the New Members section and tell us about yourself. We get a lot of guys joining and asking for help like this on their first post and it doesn't go over to well. So stick around and be apart of the forum and you will get some help.

shedhead

Mar 9, 2011
Utah
Not to be a downer, but this is a tough area to hunt if your not on private ground. There is public ground in the unit, but most of it does not hold elk, or very, very few elk. What areas are you looking at to access? You may be able to kill a bull around the private with a GPS and landownership chip, or hope some elk move low into the BLM land and the rolling sage.

steve6x6

Sep 2, 2014
Thanks for the input. I have a few areas in mind mostly on the east side of the unit. Have had some folks tell me to start there. I use my gps often. Have great program called birds eye view? It wrks very well. Thanks again.

MWScott72

Jan 27, 2012
West Jordan, UT
Wish I had some better info for you, but most of that unit is private and your best bet may be to hunt the fringe along the NF border along the west side of the unit. I believe there is a limited amount of land available. There is a reason that LE tag is much easier to draw, unfortunately. Good luck to you.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I had this tag in 2010, if you don't have access to a ranch your gonna be very disappointed. And the only WIA is called CRex, the East Bear Lake is in a general unit not LE!!

MWScott72

Jan 27, 2012
West Jordan, UT
If you don't have options, UT will allow u to turn in the tag prior to the hunt. You lose the tag fee but get you points back. Don't know how many she burned getting the tag. I'm not sure if they make you turn it in a specified number of days before the hunt though. If you think turning it back in May be the way to go, I'd call them tomorrow to find out specifics.

steve6x6

Sep 2, 2014
Much thanks to all of you and your info. Only had 2 points not big loss just going to give it my 110 percent and hope for the best. My wife and have talked about possibly turning it in but we still come to the same conclusion which is there is a chance. You know the old saying " where there's a will there's a way" and I am willing to give it all I got. We are heading up 9/10/14 for some last scouting efforts. Went last weekend found a few small guys. Again thanks for the help and I will keep you all informed with our progress.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
Two miles north of Randolph (Otter Creek Raod) use google earth to find it, most of the lower country is private. Follow it up a ways and it branches off and heads towards the USFS ground. I've given ya as much as I dare!! good luck man!!

steve6x6

Sep 2, 2014
Thank you very much. I have located the area in google and have made some way points to my GPS. As it turns out I have looked this area over pretty good from google. Again thanks to you.

steve6x6

Sep 2, 2014
Hey everyone just thought I would drop a little line on the progress here at meadowville. We are having a great time so for I was able to get a great bull into about 30 yrds late yesterday aftenoon to much deadfall for a good shot. Lots if bugling big bull being stubborn wont come off his cows. We seen a huge bull moose and some cows.

steve6x6

Sep 2, 2014
Hi all. Wife and I got it done 9/15/14 shot a nice 5x5. Will get a pic posted soon. Thanks again to all for the help and advise.

fez

Jul 21, 2011
congrats on your success on a tough hunt. way to show us how its done. cant wait for the pictures