CA hunting licenses 2012/2013

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I just got the "2012 Califorina Big Game Hunting" mag today in the mail box. The 2012/2013 hunting licenes will be available April 15 2012. There will be fundraising tags for deer, elk, antelope and ca bighorn this year.

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
To ca dfg last year when they did this for the first time they just did an open deer zone tag which if u get drawn for it u can hunt any legal zone with that weapon for the year and an owens valley elk tag and those two alone brought in like 135,000 and now since there offering antelope and sheep im sure the number is going to be way higher especially the sheep tag itself i would say will bring in $100,000 alone if not more since its such a coveted tag as in any sheep in the western states

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Right on!!! ya know what you mean there as the big game regs book states all the money thats raised with sale of entries it suppose to go to management programs for the species and hopefully its true where this money goes but you never know with CA lol

BossBrott

Mar 4, 2012
Colfax,CA
Ca DFG monies head straight for the general fund, DFG is "allotted" approx. 10% of total monies collected. Can you say CORRUPT!

Sorry, lived here my whole life,and unfortunately know the whole story.

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
agreed^ pretty much the Humane society owns ca dfg lol especially with this whole bill trying to passed to out law the use of dogs to pursue bear and bobcat

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I have a question about ca deer tag applications. On the 1st deer tag app can I enter point only for 1st choice and then enter a non-premium zone for 2nd choice? Will I still get my 2nd choice tag and still grab a point for the 1st choice?

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
i dont think so not totally positive though you could put your first choice for the zone and get your point and get your second choice zone or you could just do point only then do a second deer tag app for the non premium zone but it depends on the second deer tag if its going to be a restriced tag of un restricted tag cuase i think on the restricted tag you have to wait till after august 2nd to be able to get one but unrestricted such as B tags you can do on second deer tag app before that date check the regs book to see if there is a better explanation or call dfg and talk to a rep

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
Yea, I know if I don't get drawn for first choice deer zone, I get a point and my 2nd choice tag.....right as long as my 2nd choice is not a restricted tag?

I bought all my stuff online tonight, besides the 1st deer app because I want to make sure about the point only thing for 1st deer app.

I'll give dfg a call tommarow

Last edited:

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Hey Muleys 24/7 i just got my big draw worksheet in the mail today and to answer your question it states "If you are applying for point only in the first choice box you may also apply for a restricted deer hunt or unrstricted deer hunt tags as second or third choices when applying for a premium deer tag or point only with your first choice" just wanted to give you the heads up event though you probably already found the answer you were looking for

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Hey Muleys 24/7 i just got my big draw worksheet in the mail today and to answer your question it states "If you are applying for point only in the first choice box you may also apply for a restricted deer hunt or unrstricted deer hunt tags as second or third choices when applying for a premium deer tag or point only with your first choice" just wanted to give you the heads up event though you probably already found the answer you were looking for
Thanks, thats good to know. I thought it might work that way but it's good to know for sure.

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Your Welcome i was pretty positive about what i posted other than i didnt know that you could a bp only first choice then do a restricted or unrestricted tag as 2nd and 3rd choice but hey you learn something new every day!

Muleys 24/7

Veteran member
Jan 12, 2012
The Golden State
I've been working out of state in Nevada, so I haven't had time to call dfg. I thought that was the case but thanks for confirmation.