Burris Eliminator II Riflescope

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
Anybody have any field experience with this scope? We bought my dad one for a retirement present, we will be hunting elk / mule deer this fall during 2nd rifle season.

okielite

Banned
Jul 30, 2014
NW Nebraska
I guided a couple of guys with these a couple of years ago in Wyoming. Was a complete disaster. Not sure if they were not familiar with how to use it or if it does not work well but something was not right. They kept shooting way over the animal at around 300 yards. I guess the scope kept telling them to hold way over.

I'm not much for gimmicks and this sure seemed like one to me. I'd get lots of practice in with it to avoid issues on your hunt.

mnhunter

Aug 23, 2011
Andover, Minnesota
I have witnessed some interesting results with these as well. I would invest the money in a good rangefinder and a decent scope with a ranging reticle or turret.

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
I personally prefer using my rangefinder than adjusting my turrets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
Well the scope has turned out fantastic for him. He killed a nice Mulie in Colorado, then two nice whitetail bucks and two does here in Arkansas.

xphunter

Dec 17, 2014
Gillette, WY
I have had the 4-16 E-3, since they came out.
Programmed it at Perkins one morning with a friend while eating breakfast-scope only.
Got it set-up on the rifle, and went out a couple of days later.
Zeroed it at 100, and then the first shot at 750 yards...6.5x47 Lapua.

Rear grip 7mm WSM with the Gen 2. First shot @ 600 yards.

NevadaMuleys

Sep 6, 2014
Nevada, United States
@xphunter I do have a question actually. Can i actually shoot out to 400 or 500 yards first instead of 750? Or do i have to do 750. Also if you do fine tune it for 400 or 500 yards first will it be accurate out 600 or 700 yards?

xphunter

Dec 17, 2014
Gillette, WY
If you want to confirm shots at a shorter distance, you still must put in what the actual drop in inches @ 750 yards for your load/gun combination.
If you put drop in inches into the scope for a different distance you will not be happy with the results.
I had known/confirmed drops with my 6.5x47 Lapua and the 130 grain Berger bullet from previously shooting it at targets out to and beyond 1000 yards with a different scope on the rifle.
There was no need for me to zero at 100 yards (I did zero at 100 yards), and then set-up at tall cardboard target, put a dot toward the top, aim at that dot and fire a 5-shot group at 750 yards, then measure your drop in inches to get accurate drop in inches.
This is with the E-3 4x-16x scope.
IF you want to get close, you can chrono your load ( I would run at least 10 shots through the chronograph). Use good ballistic software and put in your correct atmospheric conditions for where you are shooting at, and then check what your drop in inches would be at 750 yards (with a 100 yard zero)--THIS WILL GET YOU CLOSE. Very rarely will it be spot on. Then you could tweak from there.
@xphunter I do have a question actually. Can i actually shoot out to 400 or 500 yards first instead of 750? Or do i have to do 750. Also if you do fine tune it for 400 or 500 yards first will it be accurate out 600 or 700 yards?

hoshour

Veteran member
Animals killed using it are not eligible for entry in B&C. It is an interesting idea though.
You know, I did not realize that. I looked it up on the B&C site and pasted in the language below. I guess I'll sell my Eliminator (see Eastmans Garage Sale post). It was a gift but there is no sense in pursuing trophy big game with it.

ENTRY AFFIDAVIT FOR ALL HUNTER-TAKEN TROPHIES
For the purpose of entry into the Boone and Crockett Club’s® records, North American big game harvested by the use of the following methods or under the following conditions are ineligible:

I. Spotting or herding game from the air, followed by landing in its vicinity for the purpose of pursuit and shooting;
II. Herding or chasing with the aid of any motorized equipment;
III. Use of electronic communication devices to guide hunters to game, artificial lighting, electronic light intensifying devices (night vision optics), sights with built-in electronic range-finding capabilities [my emphasis added], thermal imaging equipment, electronic game calls or cameras/timers/motion tracking devices that transmit images and other information to the hunter;
IV. Confined by artificial barriers, including escape proof fenced enclosures;
V. Transplanted for the purpose of commercial shooting;
VI. By the use of traps or pharmaceuticals;
VII. While swimming, helpless in deep snow, or helpless in any other natural or artificial medium;
VIII. On another hunter’s license;
IX. Not in full compliance with the game laws or regulations of the federal government or of any state, province, territory, or tribal council on reservations or tribal lands;

The entire affidavit can be found here http://www.boone-crockett.org/bgRecords/records_affidavit.asp?area=bgRecords

Last edited: