Burger, breakfast sausage & brats.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've gotten to the point that all of the grind meat that I have off of wild game goes to jerky. I'll save the back straps for savory dinners but all the rest gets ground.

Somehow that jerky disappears quite quickly between me and my friends..

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Cant wait to finally be in the new house with access to a big countertop with all of my butchering stuff.

Last year hit our pocketbooks hard as we took our deer to the processor for general cut and wraps ($90 each).

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I had 2 bows blow up on me, so I am stuck with store- bought meats. For the foreseeable future
Smoked Cornish Hens and Andoie Sausage isn't bad.
Either is Beef ribs and baby backs!
I did make Javelina sausage, mixed with pork shoulder and jerky that turned out great.
I even made steaks marinated in Italian dressing.
I BEEF AND BABY BACKS .jpgCornish Hens Andoulle Boudin (1).jpg

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had 2 bows blow up on me, so I am stuck with store- bought meats. For the foreseeable future
Smoked Cornish Hens and Andoie Sausage isn't bad.
Either is Beef ribs and baby backs!
I did make Javelina sausage, mixed with pork shoulder and jerky that turned out great.
I even made steaks marinated in Italian dressing.
I View attachment 39725View attachment 39724
I've heard that roadrunner drumsticks are delicious

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I've heard that roadrunner drumsticks are delicious
We are having a Swimming Pool installed, and the Roadrunners have made themselves scarce.
I only see them on the neighbors' rooftops or running through the underbrush...
And to think I just bought them a family pack of thin pork chops, they're favorite. 💥

LeeSikvel

Sep 7, 2022
I can almost taste those delicious venison creations you've whipped up. Using bacon ends and pieces for the fat? Genius move! That's going to add such a rich flavor to everything. I'm actually new to this forum, stumbled upon it while looking for some recipe inspiration. Your post definitely caught my eye! I'm always on the lookout for unique ways to cook game meat, and you seem to have nailed it. Have you ever tried experimenting with venison on pizza? I recently visited this spot called https://www.therevolution.ie/, and they had this amazing venison pizza that blew my mind. Seriously, it was a game-changer (pun intended)! If you're ever in the mood for something different with your venison, you should totally check them out.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I can almost taste those delicious venison creations you've whipped up. Using bacon ends and pieces for the fat? Genius move! That's going to add such a rich flavor to everything. I'm actually new to this forum, stumbled upon it while looking for some recipe inspiration. Your post definitely caught my eye! I'm always on the lookout for unique ways to cook game meat, and you seem to have nailed it.
I used to use pork shoulder roast for fat and added meat. A buddy in Alaska told me about the bacon ends & pieces. We have a local smaller grocery store and the butcher ordered my a case of ends & pieces. 30# in 2# frozen packages. I paid $90.00 or $3.00/pound. You are right about the different flavor. My burger has a hint of smokey flavor and gives it just the right amount of fat. I use 20% by weight.

Reactions: gonhunting247

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I used to use pork shoulder roast for fat and added meat. A buddy in Alaska told me about the bacon ends & pieces. We have a local smaller grocery store and the butcher ordered my a case of ends & pieces. 30# in 2# frozen packages. I paid $90.00 or $3.00/pound. You are right about the different flavor. My burger has a hint of smokey flavor and gives it just the right amount of fat. I use 20% by weight.
Everything is better with bacon in it.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Bacon ends and pieces is all I've used for years in my sausages and chorizo. We have made excellent breakfast, Italian, chorizo sausages ect. out of bear, turkey, wild boar, javelina, deer, elk and antelope, all with the ends and pieces as the fat content. Really makes for excellent finished product!