Bullet choices?

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
So, I've been having fun loading for the .270 winchester! So far, it seems to like 130gr Hornady Interlock and 150gr Nosler Partitions. I'm using H-4831sc for both and getting good results. I haven't choreographed them yet but they are close to "Book Max".
My thoughts are to use the 150 Nosler on a cow elk in October and the 130 Hornaday for a mule deer in November.

My rifle doesn't seem to care for Accubonds and I'm still tinkering with TSX loads, using H-4350.

What's your thoughts guys? Do you have favorite loads for the .270, advice on my bullet choices? Favorite primers? etc, etc!

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I prefer to choose a bullet that will do everything I require that particular rifle to accomplish. With that said, considering the two bullets you have listed and your intended game animals, I would choose the 150 gr Partition and go hunting. No need to be switching bullets, scope adjustments to accommodate POI changes, etc.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've gotten lazy in my old age. I use pretty much one bullet, one powder, and one type of primer in all of my reloading for each cartridge that I load for. The only real exceptions are my pistols where I will switch back and forth from lead to jacket bullets.

All my rifles except for my 22-250 shoot Barnes TTSX bullets now, they all shoot great and I figure that I don't need to fix what isn't broken

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I reloaded some Nosler ballistic tip hunting bullets out of my Father in laws .270 with very good results.

Never killed an animal with this but I would assume they are pretty deadly judging form the two bucks I shot with my 30-06 last year with basically the same load. They both died.

Bullet- Nosler Ballistic tip 130 grain
Powder- IMR 4064 (47 grains)
Primer- Winchester Large Rifle
Case- Winchester Brass

Reactions: AKaviator

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
If your having a hard time finding brass let me know. I've got probably 150 once fired Remington brass if you want it.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I've standardized on the 140gr Nosler AccuBond for .270...there is a group I load for all three shoot the same round and all have had great success, elk, lope, deer.
My wife shot a nice bull moose with a 140 Accubond from her 7mm-08. 275 yards and the bull went down within 10 yards.
This 270 doesn't seem to like them as well.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
If your having a hard time finding brass let me know. I've got probably 150 once fired Remington brass if you want it.
Thanks, but I have plenty and it's pretty easy to get around here. Nice of you to offer though!

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I've gotten lazy in my old age. I use pretty much one bullet, one powder, and one type of primer in all of my reloading for each cartridge that I load for. The only real exceptions are my pistols where I will switch back and forth from lead to jacket bullets.

All my rifles except for my 22-250 shoot Barnes TTSX bullets now, they all shoot great and I figure that I don't need to fix what isn't broken
Jim,
Those Barnes TSX bullets sure do seem to shoot well. I had a really poor initial impression of them when my son shot a caribou with a 85gr, 243. Accurate as could be but preformed poorly on the bull. I have heard that they have improved a lot since then.
I used one on a large cow elk last year and she died fine. I wish I could have recovered the bullet though. But I'm not arguing with success!

I'm just back from the range and the 140 TSX was certainly the most accurate from my gun today.

Reactions: memtb

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I prefer to choose a bullet that will do everything I require that particular rifle to accomplish. With that said, considering the two bullets you have listed and your intended game animals, I would choose the 150 gr Partition and go hunting. No need to be switching bullets, scope adjustments to accommodate POI changes, etc.
I completely get that. I just do a bunch of stuff for the heck of it and out of curiosity.
I loaded two different loads with the Nosler 150 Partitions today with only the primers being different. All else meticulously the same. Federal 210m primers and CCI 200. The CCI averaged 100 fps slower and impacted about 4" lower at 100. I expected a difference, just not quite that much!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Early in their lives the Barnes X bullet had a lot of problems, then they went to the TSX which was a huge improvement. Then the TTSX tipped bullet came out and just about all the complaints went away.

On the African hunting forum that I am on the TSX and TTSX have a very large following for hunting plains game and cape buffalo. I took all of my African animals with TTSX bullets and the only ones that took more than one shot were my fault.

Last fall my brother in law shot his 4x4 Colorado mule deer at around 400 yards almost straight down. The 140 grain TTSX out of his 7mm Rem mag entered at the base of the neck and blew out the off side shoulder, the deer dropped right where he was standing.

I have also never recovered a bullet

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
That was the X bullet in the 243. I'm just slow to come back around! I shot a 3/4" group at 200 with the 140gr TSX today.

memtb

As some others indicated....you can keep it simple. Develop a load ( one bullet for everything) and stay with it.....unless there is irrefutable evidence that something far superior has arrived. In loading for my daughter’s .270 Win., we’re using Barnes 140 grain TSX’s. Had it “not” worked....we’d have gone with the Barnes 130 TTSX.

While different cartridges, my wife and I use .....one bullet, one load, and one zero for our respective rifles. These rifles are used for “all” of our big game hunting, from antelope to moose.....with the occasional coyote thrown in! memtb

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Working up different loads keeps me at the bench loading ammo and at the range shooting these rifles. I'll likely settle on a load or two for hunting but I still love to experiment with different powders and bullets etc. If I only had one really good load, I might only shoot it a time or two prior to hunting season to check for 0.
Same goes for different firearms. I could get by with a rifle or two, I'd rather have or have had 30 or so in differing calibers!

Just me!

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
When my younger son fist started hunting he was a little recoil shy. I got him a 7mm-08 and had him shooting barnes 120 grain TTSX in an effort to keep the recoil down. He killed many whitetail, a black bear and and antelope at 287 yards with that setup. Now my daughter is using the gun with the same 120 TTSX and she has already killed 4 bucks. All of the kills with the TTSX have been 1 shot kills. Truly impressive what they do to an animal. I have used the TSX in my 257 wby with very impressive results as well, it was my go to bullet for everything until recently. I have two 300 wbys and had a load with 180 grn TSX that I used in my first one for years. For some reason my second 300 which is an ultra light weight just does not like them. Other than in that particular gun I have had great luck with barnes.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I use RL-22/RL-23 for our 270s. 140gr accubonds and Hornady ELDX 145gr both shoot really well. accubonds have accounted for Deer,Elk,and a few coyotes. haven't had any ELDXs in a animal yet though. federal,cci,remington primers have been used.
I agree with using one load for as much as possible. I too get tired of POI switching around scope adjustments.

memtb

Working up different loads keeps me at the bench loading ammo and at the range shooting these rifles. I'll likely settle on a load or two for hunting but I still love to experiment with different powders and bullets etc. If I only had one really good load, I might only shoot it a time or two prior to hunting season to check for 0.
Same goes for different firearms. I could get by with a rifle or two, I'd rather have or have had 30 or so in differing calibers!

Just me!

Once, I had a lot of spare time and did a lot of hand loading and shooting.....even then, I used one rifle exclusively for all of my hunting. Now, the game is much larger, some potentially dangerous, and shots potentially much farther.... I still have only one hunting rifle, though with a bit more horsepower than before! ;) And much like yourself, a load has been developed and proven.... the majority the shooting with the hunting rifle is to verify the zero and kill game! memtb

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I use RL-22/RL-23 for our 270s. 140gr accubonds and Hornady ELDX 145gr both shoot really well. accubonds have accounted for Deer,Elk,and a few coyotes. haven't had any ELDXs in a animal yet though. federal,cci,remington primers have been used.
I agree with using one load for as much as possible. I too get tired of POI switching around scope adjustments.
I haven't tried those powders yet. I have used RL-19 in a different 270 with pretty good results.
I rarely readjust my scope when playing around with different loads until I settle on the one I want for hunting. I just shoot for the group.