Bull Too Big To Shoot

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Shaking my head and laughing. I hope No one ever has to repeat those words.

Go into the HMA 30 min before shooting light. While putting on packs a dude and his wife roll up to the parking area. I politely ask him not to go driving through the center as some years the elk have been right over this hill. Took me a few more minutes to convince him but they did.

He was also reluctant to coordinte where he was going. I told him our plan so he knew where we were. They hunted till 730 then walked out.

So.....we execute our plan B. Get the wind right. Glass as much as possible to cover ground. Nothing found. We start about 3/4 up a ridge and into the wind we go.

After an hour of that I say " get behind me and shuffle slow left"
Big flipping bull about 1400 yards out. Broadside looking at us. We get in line. Lose a little altitude and put a big set of rocks between us. Get to 600 where I can now give him a look over. Biggest live on the hoof elk Ive ever seen. 6 x 6. I estimate his 6ths to be solidly in the 12 inch range. Brows to his nose and curl up. Wide. Wide wide.

Tag is 5 pts or less one side. We put him to bed hoping he has some little buddys with him.

Super cool the little hidely hole he had. Shelf up hi. North facing with a back door that went south west through a saddle.

Will go back to a glassing spot tonight.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Shaking my head and laughing. I hope No one ever has to repeat those words.

Go into the HMA 30 min before shooting light. While putting on packs a dude and his wife roll up to the parking area. I politely ask him not to go driving through the center as some years the elk have been right over this hill. Took me a few more minutes to convince him but they did.

He was also reluctant to coordinte where he was going. I told him our plan so he knew where we were. They hunted till 730 then walked out.

So.....we execute our plan B. Get the wind right. Glass as much as possible to cover ground. Nothing found. We start about 3/4 up a ridge and into the wind we go.

After an hour of that I say " get behind me and shuffle slow left"
Big flipping bull about 1400 yards out. Broadside looking at us. We get in line. Lose a little altitude and put a big set of rocks between us. Get to 600 where I can now give him a look over. Biggest live on the hoof elk Ive ever seen. 6 x 6. I estimate his 6ths to be solidly in the 12 inch range. Brows to his nose and curl up. Wide. Wide wide.

Tag is 5 pts or less one side. We put him to bed hoping he has some little buddys with him.

Super cool the little hidely hole he had. Shelf up hi. North facing with a back door that went south west through a saddle.

Will go back to a glassing spot tonight.
Dude, I wouldn't wish that on anybody...

Reactions: buckbull

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Happens quite often in Utah while the spike only hunt is going on.

But they sure are fun to watch. I actually got yelled at one year while I was watching big bulls with a spike tag in my pocket

Reactions: Slugz