Bull Elk in Wyoming Unit 100

tomcat

Mar 25, 2013
I had the good fortune to draw a bull elk tag in unit 100. Any advice on where to start hunting would be greatly appreciated.

nebugle

Mar 17, 2013
nebraska
Call Wyoming game and fish they are good at pointing you in the right direction call the warden in charge of that area they are usually very helpful I'd start by calling the office in rock springs. Good luck!!

tomcat

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks nebugle. Come on guys, I know some of you can tell something about this unit.

30Hart

Aug 30, 2012
Utah
Lots of small 5 point and 6 point bulls. The big ones go into hiding after the couple hundred people descend on the opener. Lots of area to cover, a big bull could be anywhere. That makes it hard because the area is too big to cover all of it (out and about, not from the truck) in just a short two week season. I think archery season is best for a big one as they can at least be located and there's no pressure. Bring extra tires as you'll probably get a flat or two. An ATV is useful, but there are walk-in only areas that hold good elk too...good luck.

dallen0427

Mar 26, 2011
Wasilla, AK
I drew a tag there with my dad in 2011. Very fun hunt, tons of smaller bulls and a few monsters. I'll pm you with the areas we hunted, and the area I'd hunt if I ever draw again. I got a nice 6X6, but seen some that were just bruisers. Were just too far off the path for my dad to do, so I kept it easy .

tomcat

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks for the advice. Do I have to get a permit for an ATV?
Lots of small 5 point and 6 point bulls. The big ones go into hiding after the couple hundred people descend on the opener. Lots of area to cover, a big bull could be anywhere. That makes it hard because the area is too big to cover all of it (out and about, not from the truck) in just a short two week season. I think archery season is best for a big one as they can at least be located and there's no pressure. Bring extra tires as you'll probably get a flat or two. An ATV is useful, but there are walk-in only areas that hold good elk too...good luck.

tomcat

Mar 25, 2013
Thanks dallen0427. I am really interested in what you can tell me about the unit. I'm a nonresident from Mississippi, and scouting is not very practical. I have been in the unit before, but I can't say I'm familiar with it.