buffalo hunt

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I need some general info. help. I got lucky and I just drew a cow buffalo tag for an indian reservation. It happens anytime I want to from Sept. to up untill Christmas. It is in a large pasture/pen, about 3000 acres. It should be a 100 yard shot at most.

Has anyone done this type of hunt ( I will use the term "hunt" very loosely) ? I am pretty sure I want to wait untill as late as possible to make sure the hide has some winter growth. I will be doing other hunts in Sept. and Oct.

When would you choose to hunt? How did you handle the hide and/or head( did you keep it, sell it, mount it). What did you do with the skull? Did you grind it all for burger or did you try to get some choice cuts from it? They load it and will haul it to a close by processor but I am thinking of just want to do it myself ( especially if I just grind it all). A mature cow could produce 400# of meat, what did you do with all of it? I know what it sells for in the store. If you sold it, how much did you charge people?

Drelk

Jul 25, 2011
I have had some great buffalo hunts. A couple were on a reservation one was a Wyoming draw which my father drew. The buffalo on the reservation were the most challenging. We went in on horseback. If those bulls saw or smelled you they were gone. U would see them running 2 miles away still hauling butt. It was definitely fair chase and very exciting. One of the bulls was measured for B&C although he was just shy of the mark.

I have a skull mount, a shoulder mount and two hides hair on. My dad is getting older and i had the hide painted telling the story of our hunts together.

Don't grind all the meat into burger. Steaks chops roasts it was all amazing.

Bring sharp knives it takes a lot of cutting and resharpening to get through a cow buff.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I haven't hunted them Yet but I have eatin alot. It is some of the best meat I've ever ate. I put it up there with young elk.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
on a cow, I think later/fuller fur would make an awesome rug.

I think I'd just clean the skull for the wall, and get a full hide/rug tanned, especially on a cow.

I had a full shoulder mount and a rug made and that rug was rather small, so do 1 or the other but not both if you ask me.

I used a .340wby 275gr A-Frame, if I had to due over I'd use a 250gr bullet.

I gave away a lot of meat, and still had plenty!

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
Well I finaly got to go on my buffalo hunt ( more like a drive by ) Here are the pictures so I'm sure you will be able to see how it went down.buffalo 004.jpgbuffalo 006.jpgbuffalo 022.jpgbuffalo 025.jpgbuffalo 026.jpg

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Interesting. Enjoy the meat, buffalo is delicious! Out of curiousity, about how much meat will you/did you get out of her?

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
About 290# of meat. There were bigger cows and smaller cows but like Eldelwiss, everybody was telling me not to shoot a mature old cow. All the buffalo were huddled together in the herd so it was extremely difficult to get a good look at all the cows, finding a shooter and keep your eyes on her because they were all milling around and I had to try and get one by herself so my bullet didnt get another after the exit.