BROWNING BAR .270 serial number help

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Hey everyone, I am not real familiar with Browning rifles. I just got his out of storage, it was my father in laws hunting rifle for year. He passed away, and I inherited this along with some other guns that I am more familiar with. I cannot find any magazines for it, and need to buy one or two. The caliber is .270 the serial number is 13348 M72. Nothing on any websites refer to this marking. They are close, but doesn't make since.

I would like to know what year this was manufactured, I thought 1972, but the serial number pattern for that year ranger does not coincide with this number.

Thank you for any help. 20180317_124529.jpg

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I have one that's very similar. Mine has 18238-M69. The detachable magazine connects to a hinged floor plate. The magazine itself is marked for .270 or 30-06. Mine's the 30-06. Made in Belgium.

I know I didn't really answer your questions but be happy that you own it. It's a fine rifle and plenty accurate!

JimP is right...look up midwest gun works. They advertise the magazines.

Last edited:

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Thanks friends. That is all good info. I am going to call Browning on Monday and see if they can pin point the year and talk to them about part numbers. I checked Midwest. Great resource. Thanks much.

I am really look in forward to putting some lead through it. Gotta get a new scope first. Thinking a Vortex Viper 3.5 to 10.

NEWHunter

Jun 11, 2016
Brookfield, WI
Good luck. They are great guns. I have a BAR in 7mm mag. and have it topped with a Leupold 3-9x and it has done a nice job for me. However, there are times when I wish I had a bit more magnification on it for whitetails. The trigger pull is a little heavy on them though.