Breakdown of my DREAM rifle (what is yours?)

This is a thread I’ve wanted to start for years, because if you’re anything like me, you’re constantly building the perfect rifle for each situation in your head. Since I’m stuck inside on this rainy day, thinking about the fall, I thought I would breakdown and explain why I think I’ve created the ultimate rifle for hunting out west. Do you agree that I nailed it? If not, put in some effort and show us how you would create your dream rifle?

Base rifle: Kimber 84L Super America. I would look a used one, and the caliber doesn’t matter because I just want it for the stock and action. This would be such a good donor rifle because you get a stunning AAA grade Walnut stock. The lightweight scaled down action is made to fit the 30-06 family of cartridges, so you’re not packing around the extra weight of a generic action that has to be big enough to handle magnums. I’m aware the walnut stock is heavier and out of fashion these days, but I think it adds so much more character to a rifle, and I’m an absolute wood freak. It would be simple to have another carbon stock to swap out on the rifle if you wanted to take it on a sheep hunt or something.

Barrel: I would go with a 22” long Bartlein. I want one contour heavier then comes stock on a Kimber so it would not be as finicky when trying to shoot three or five shot groups. This should be a #2 barrel contour I think. My goal for the bare rifle would be about a 6.5 lb. weight. I’m sure everyone has their favorite brand, so I took advice from this article at Precision Rifle Blog.

Gunsmith Work: Since this is my dream rifle, I would not hold back on making it perfect. I would have a gunsmith true the action and lap the locking lugs. Then I would ask him to bed the action into the stock. To protect the finish I would have all metalwork Cerakoted in a dark color that matches the classic look of blued steel as closely as possible.

Optics: To keep this package simple, light, and traditionally beautiful I would get a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL. This is light at 13.5 ounces. The elevation turret is adjustable and has the all-important locking feature. The magnification range and 55 moa elevation adjustment will be just about right to make this a 500 yard capable shooting system. A set of 3 ounce Talley rings would be my choice to couple the optics and rifle together.

Caliber and Bullet: 280 Ackley Improved and 155 gr Terminal Ascent bullet. I won’t make the mistake of calling this the “best” cartridge, because frankly I don’t care about that argument. It fits into the Kimber’s trim 84L action size and has a good mix of power versus recoil. To me the bullet is way more interesting. It has a relatively high BC of .586, and a moderate enough weight that it can be launched to 2900 fps. It’s hard to find a bullet that mixes a tough internal construction with a highly aerodynamic shape. This will do a fantastic job on game from antelope to elk!

Rifle Support System: Guns on the lighter end of the spectrum can be hard to shoot accurately at longer range, which is why I always think about what kind of rest or support system I could use. My knowledge extends most deeply to the Spartan Precision Equipment product line because I’m a rep for them, but I’m always interested to hear other suggestions you have. The Javelin Pro Hunt Tac is my favorite bipod because I can keep it out of the way on my hip pouch when it’s not in use, then attach it in two seconds with the magnetic mount. Height adjustment is similar to the ratchet style leg adjustments many of us grew up with, except this super stable bipod only weighs 8 ounces! To get a sleek and nearly unnoticeable bipod mount, I would have the flush fitting Gunsmith Adapter installed in the forend of the stock.

Conclusion: Wow, this was really fun to finally put my dream down on paper! A rough estimate is a little less than $4000 all-in to make this build happen. My rifle idea is the culmination of countless hours thinking about how to build something that's drop dead gorgeous, light enough to be a pleasure to carry, with a simple scope and support that gives me the confidence to shoot out to 500 yards. This isn't intended to start any arguments on what is best, or to put anyone down. In fact, I would love to see a breakdown of what your dream rifle would look like. Start putting ideas down on paper and let your imagination run wild!

Reactions: AKaviator

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
It would br hard for me to pick one dream rifle because I really feel one caliber won't really do what I want it to do. I actually own 2 "dream" rifles, one is 25-06 and the other is .300 Wby. Now that we have sorted out the calibers, I will go on to the actual shooter.

My 25-06 is a vintage Ruger M77 tang safety. It does everything I want it to do on deer and antelope. The only thing I would change is the barrel length. Ruger only put a 26" barrel on this rifle, 22" would be my choice.

My Wby is a custom and you probably won't find too many Weatherby calibers in non Wby factory rifles. I have a non military factory Mauser action, Shilen SS match barrel and a B & C composite stock. It is topped with a Leupold VXIII 4 x 10 x 40 mm. I shoot my own loads with 180 gr for elk and 150 gr for deer.

The only thing that I take exception to on Spartan Jakes build is the wood stock. I used to make custom stocks (I have made over 200) and they are a work of art. I have some that I have used for over 50 years. The problem today is finding a good piece of walnut that doesn't break the bank. The new composite stocks make a lot of sense for a hunting rifle. They are light, strong and almost impervious to the elements they are exposed to.

Here is a picture of a 03 sporterized military Springfield that I built in 1957. I still shoot it today, but you can see how much wear the stock has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spartan Jake

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I got a Pre 64 in .243 thats is pretty sweet. It is super heavy but it has a great trigger on it. I used to tote it around the neighborhood shooting woodchucks. It was the wrong tool for the job but I was a kid and didn't care if I scared the crap out of the neighbors daily. lol

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I bought mine a very long time ago.

Ever since I first read about it in the early 60's and then when it became a production rifle in 1964 I had wanted a Weatherby .340 mag. The one that I have is a plain Jane MkV with a fiberglass stock, it is however in stainless with a removable muzzle brake. I found the load that it loves and will forever shoot that one load out of it. I have used it for mule deer, elk, pronghorn, and took it to Africa for my kudu, black wildebeast, impala, gemsbok, spring buck, and bleastbok. It will go back with me next year on my second trip.

As I said it is a simple rifle but it shoots 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullets at 3000 fps into a single ragged hole at 200 yards. That is as long as I do my job when I pull the trigger.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
This is a thread I’ve wanted to start for years, because if you’re anything like me, you’re constantly building the perfect rifle for each situation in your head. Since I’m stuck inside on this rainy day, thinking about the fall, I thought I would breakdown and explain why I think I’ve created the ultimate rifle for hunting out west. Do you agree that I nailed it? If not, put in some effort and show us how you would create your dream rifle?

Base rifle: Kimber 84L Super America. I would look a used one, and the caliber doesn’t matter because I just want it for the stock and action. This would be such a good donor rifle because you get a stunning AAA grade Walnut stock. The lightweight scaled down action is made to fit the 30-06 family of cartridges, so you’re not packing around the extra weight of a generic action that has to be big enough to handle magnums. I’m aware the walnut stock is heavier and out of fashion these days, but I think it adds so much more character to a rifle, and I’m an absolute wood freak. It would be simple to have another carbon stock to swap out on the rifle if you wanted to take it on a sheep hunt or something.

View attachment 34607

Barrel: I would go with a 22” long Bartlein. I want one contour heavier then comes stock on a Kimber so it would not be as finicky when trying to shoot three or five shot groups. This should be a #2 barrel contour I think. My goal for the bare rifle would be about a 6.5 lb. weight. I’m sure everyone has their favorite brand, so I took advice from this article at Precision Rifle Blog.

Gunsmith Work: Since this is my dream rifle, I would not hold back on making it perfect. I would have a gunsmith true the action and lap the locking lugs. Then I would ask him to bed the action into the stock. To protect the finish I would have all metalwork Cerakoted in a dark color that matches the classic look of blued steel as closely as possible.

Optics: To keep this package simple, light, and traditionally beautiful I would get a Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 CDS-ZL. This is light at 13.5 ounces. The elevation turret is adjustable and has the all-important locking feature. The magnification range and 55 moa elevation adjustment will be just about right to make this a 500 yard capable shooting system. A set of 3 ounce Talley rings would be my choice to couple the optics and rifle together.

View attachment 34608

Caliber and Bullet: 280 Ackley Improved and 155 gr Terminal Ascent bullet. I won’t make the mistake of calling this the “best” cartridge, because frankly I don’t care about that argument. It fits into the Kimber’s trim 84L action size and has a good mix of power versus recoil. To me the bullet is way more interesting. It has a relatively high BC of .586, and a moderate enough weight that it can be launched to 2900 fps. It’s hard to find a bullet that mixes a tough internal construction with a highly aerodynamic shape. This will do a fantastic job on game from antelope to elk!

Rifle Support System: Guns on the lighter end of the spectrum can be hard to shoot accurately at longer range, which is why I always think about what kind of rest or support system I could use. My knowledge extends most deeply to the Spartan Precision Equipment product line because I’m a rep for them, but I’m always interested to hear other suggestions you have. The Javelin Pro Hunt Tac is my favorite bipod because I can keep it out of the way on my hip pouch when it’s not in use, then attach it in two seconds with the magnetic mount. Height adjustment is similar to the ratchet style leg adjustments many of us grew up with, except this super stable bipod only weighs 8 ounces! To get a sleek and nearly unnoticeable bipod mount, I would have the flush fitting Gunsmith Adapter installed in the forend of the stock.

View attachment 34609

Conclusion: Wow, this was really fun to finally put my dream down on paper! A rough estimate is a little less than $4000 all-in to make this build happen. My rifle idea is the culmination of countless hours thinking about how to build something that's drop dead gorgeous, light enough to be a pleasure to carry, with a simple scope and support that gives me the confidence to shoot out to 500 yards. This isn't intended to start any arguments on what is best, or to put anyone down. In fact, I would love to see a breakdown of what your dream rifle would look like. Start putting ideas down on paper and let your imagination run wild!
I might change a few things, but your rifle build sounds good.

I had a poor experience with my Kimber rifle, so I doubt I would go there on a dream rifle build. I like the Bartlein barrel. I'd use a Mauser action, trued. I know that synthetic stocks are more practical, but like you, I would go with a high-end wood stock, by Jerry Fisher or D'Arcy Echols.
I would probably go with either 30-06 or .270 Winchester and top it with a Leupold 4.5 X 14, since that's what I have on almost everything.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Action: Defiance anti or a Bat Vampire

Barrel: Bartlein carbon barrel 22" 9 twist

Stock: McMillan edge fill

Trigger: Trigger Tech diamond

Muzzle brake: Ti Pro

Caliber: 300 wsm or a 30 Nosler. Both would have to be throated longer for running the 215 berger at optimum seating depth.

Scope: Nightforce NX8

This combination would the perfect rifle for most of the hunts I do. My dream rifle for other types of shooting or scouting would be set up completely different.

It would br hard for me to pick one dream rifle because I really feel one caliber won't really do what I want it to do. I actually own 2 "dream" rifles, one is 25-06 and the other is .300 Wby. Now that we have sorted out the calibers, I will go on to the actual shooter.

My 25-06 is a vintage Ruger M77 tang safety. It does everything I want it to do on deer and antelope. The only thing I would change is the barrel length. Ruger only put a 26" barrel on this rifle, 22" would be my choice.

My Wby is a custom and you probably won't find too many Weatherby calibers in non Wby factory rifles. I have a non military factory Mauser action, Shilen SS match barrel and a B & C composite stock. It is topped with a Leupold VXIII 4 x 10 x 40 mm. I shoot my own loads with 180 gr for elk and 150 gr for deer.

The only thing that I take exception to on Spartan Jakes build is the wood stock. I used to make custom stocks (I have made over 200) and they are a work of art. I have some that I have used for over 50 years. The problem today is finding a good piece of walnut that doesn't break the bank. The new composite stocks make a lot of sense for a hunting rifle. They are light, strong and almost impervious to the elements they are exposed to.

Here is a picture of a 03 sporterized military Springfield that I built in 1957. I still shoot it today, but you can see how much wear the stock has.
View attachment 34616
You're right about my choice of wood stocks not being rational or practical. I guess that's part of the dream part of this whole exercise, it's more about having fun than being practical. I like the 2 calibers you picked as it pretty much covers anything you would hunt without much overlap.

I might change a few things, but your rifle build sounds good.

I had a poor experience with my Kimber rifle, so I doubt I would go there on a dream rifle build. I like the Bartlein barrel. I'd use a Mauser action, trued. I know that synthetic stocks are more practical, but like you, I would go with a high-end wood stock, by Jerry Fisher or D'Arcy Echols.
I would probably go with either 30-06 or .270 Winchester and top it with a Leupold 4.5 X 14, since that's what I have on almost everything.
Your build sounds wonderful! I've heard a lot of mixed reviews on Kimber rifles, and I always want to like them. What happened with yours?

Action: Defiance anti or a Bat Vampire

Barrel: Bartlein carbon barrel 22" 9 twist

Stock: McMillan edge fill

Trigger: Trigger Tech diamond

Muzzle brake: Ti Pro

Caliber: 300 wsm or a 30 Nosler. Both would have to be throated longer for running the 215 berger at optimum seating depth.

Scope: Nightforce NX8

This combination would the perfect rifle for most of the hunts I do. My dream rifle for other types of shooting or scouting would be set up completely different.
That sounds like an extremely capable rifle build! Do you have any experience with those Berger bullets on game?

Reactions: Micah S

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I am not against really great figured wood stocks. I have 3 rifles and 3 shotguns with really great wood on them. On my .300, if I fall or drop the rifle and hit the stock, the composite is really not damaged. I have also had a stock that the forend warped after 10 years of hunting when I hunted in Texas in the high humidity and rain when I lived there for a year. Even tho the barrel channel was finished, moisture got in somehow. I has to open the channel and wrap the barrel with 1/8 inch of spacer tape and glass bedded it. Has not moved since then. It was the Maple stock in the picture I posted.

Last edited:

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I think I bought mine a few years ago, kimber hunter. Not wildly expensive, shoots well, M70 action, light and ugly enough I don’t care if I scratch it. Kinda like a good pick up.