Bore Sighting

Booner

Feb 21, 2011
Nebraska
I had to post this because I just seen a commercial for a lazer bore sighter system. They said they wouldn't have taken this huge deer if it wasn't for the bore sighting system. I don't have one but I have borrowed one a couple times and it usually got me on paper at 100 yds. that's all it did. I would never rely on a bore sighter to get my rifle shooting close enough for hunting. Plus I like to shoot and sighting in tells me how my rifle is shooting and if my scope clicks are accurate. I know that it says you can check if your scope is zeroed with the lazer, but how accurate can this be, I'm curious.
What's your thoughts?

THEBUGLER

Feb 21, 2011
Idaho
www.elk101.com
Since I was 12 years old Ive been doing it the old fashioned way.........Pull the bolt out of the rifle and prop the gun up so as to see through the scope and barrel. Looking through the barrel at an object 50 yards away, I begin twisting turrets on the scope until the reticle lines up with the object that is seen through the barrel. Puts me on paper every time and pretty darn close too. Who knows, maybe the laser does work better?:rolleyes:

Booner

Feb 21, 2011
Nebraska
I hear ya, but we both sight in the rifle afterwards. I've been around a few that thinks bore sighting alone is good enough. Then I hear stories of wounded animals and lots of misses.

3rd Lung

Mar 2, 2011
Idaho
Bore sighting should only be used to get you hitting paper. In my opinion there's no real need to own a bore sight unless you do a ton of shooting and are constantly changing scopes and or bullets/powders. My local gun shop bore sights my rifles for free. Gets them hitting paper, then I do the rest.

If you think about it from a reloaders view, just changing from a 180grn bullet loaded to the minimum load to a 150grn loaded to the maximum load, could put you worlds apart at 100yrds (wouldn't even want to know at 500+). A laser can't compensate for that.

THEBUGLER

Feb 21, 2011
Idaho
www.elk101.com
I always shoot my rifle before season starts. Sometimes if I'm going to use a rifle I haven't shot in a while, I will take at least three practice shots before I hunt. Even if its dark out, I'll find a safe place with a good backstop and shoot with the help of the headlights.