Boot Insulation Question

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
So I'm shopping for boots and have narrowed it down to a few different brands. I was going to get 400 grams and then got to thinking. If I'm hiking very far these could get too hot. On the flip side if I hike in with non-insulated boots and sit to glass for the day, I could end up with cold feet. So what do you guys use in this situation? I'm used to sitting in a metal tree stand with 1200 gram Irish setter rubber boots, in sub 30 degree weather. Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Are these boots for your Wyoming hunt? Anything could happen and I wound take some well insulated boots just in case but in general that time of year I think you would be fine with uninsulated to 200 gram boots. I wouldnt recommend over 200 gram unless you plan to mostly sit and glass that day. The main thing is for them to be waterproof and get some good wool socks and a few different thicknesses of socks too so you will have some options. Too much insulation is worse then not enough. Cold feet are bad but cold wet sweaty feet are alot worse. I usually wear my gortex noninsulated combat boots in Wy that time of year but I have been thinking about getting some 200 gram boots.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I actually considered taking my combat boots as well MM. And yes its for this years WY hunt. I have been meaning towards no insulation and good socks. So you probably just helped me confirm my plan. Thanks!!

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
Your combat boots will work fine. I was wearing mine every time I have killed an antelope! Did they issue you the insulated boots with liners too? Not sure why they issued me boots like that to go to Iraq but they have been great back at home! If you have them and the standard boots you will have it covered.

Murdy

Dec 13, 2011
North-Central Illinois
I can't comfortably get a pair of heavy wool socks into my old combat boots, I still wear them, but primarily for warmer weather. I'm also a Midwestern treestand hunter, and heavily insulated boots are the norm. But I am more mobile in early spring turkey season, and can still hit some fairly cold weather at times (we hunt Wisconsin). I still err on the side of a more-insulated boot, and carry an extra pair of socks or two, so I can change if my feet get sweated up.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
All army boots seem to be made for people with long narrow feet....... I have 2 pair that are a 1/2 size to big that work pretty well with heavier socks. All of them have leaked at some point. Not the greatest boots in the world but I have them and they work.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Are these boots for your Wyoming hunt? Anything could happen and I wound take some well insulated boots just in case but in general that time of year I think you would be fine with uninsulated to 200 gram boots. I wouldnt recommend over 200 gram unless you plan to mostly sit and glass that day. The main thing is for them to be waterproof and get some good wool socks and a few different thicknesses of socks too so you will have some options. Too much insulation is worse then not enough. Cold feet are bad but cold wet sweaty feet are alot worse. I usually wear my gortex noninsulated combat boots in Wy that time of year but I have been thinking about getting some 200 gram boots.

X2 I would add the wool socks when sitting to insulate. Nothing can get much worse then sweaty feet from hot boots.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks all....I do have those insulated combat boots MM. They are a bit small and I should have fixed that when I was in, but I didn't because I thought I'd never use them....go figure. If I wear a thin sock with them they are fine. Thick sock and they are too cramped. I'll for sure take them with me.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I never even put mine on till I got home. lol. With the liners your feet stay pretty warm even with thin socks. I use them around home here alot in the winter and take them hunting alot incase the weather changes alot.