Book cliffs roadless deer

Bridger

May 30, 2019
My son drew a north BC rifle tag and having horses would like to pack into the roadless area but am concerned about the bucks migrating out of there for the the october rifle season.
Do the roadless bucks migrate out of there ?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you head into the road less area you might end up chasing the deer all the way down to the south unit before you find very many to shoot at.
If there is even a cold rain storm in September the bucks will be off to their winter grounds, not to mention what will happen if it snows. Not saying that there won't be deer in it but I wouldn't waist my time looking for the few that might still be in there.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Diff unit, but I was surprised at the number of big bucks I saw at/near tree line in the blowing snow last year in WY. They hadn't been hunted/pushed for several weeks and it would have been easy pick'ns. I was after an elk at the time, and yes, I cut my tag. :)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The deer in the Utah Book Cliffs live a sheltered life. A cold rains storm much less snow will put them right into migration mode and it only takes less than a day for them to get to their winter grounds.

I have seen it down there when there is not a single deer to be found up high, and this is in early October before the rifle hunts start. I have also found some nicer bucks at the same time but you need to know where to look for them. Also by the rifle deer hunt quite a few of the bucks will be in full rut mode.