Blinds

schl44

Feb 21, 2014
Last year in New Mexico I used a couple of blinds that I set up on water holes for hunting Elk. There were a lot of bears hiting the water holes as well. I had a lot of problems with the bears clawing and biting holes in the tents. They never tore any down, but made lots of holes in them. There was no food or sents left in the tent so it must of been done out of curiosity. I was thinking about spraying the tent down with water mixed with tabasco. Any other sugestions to keep the bears away from the tents at night?

thanks, Lee

schl44

Feb 21, 2014
Thanks packmule. Im gona mix up a batch and try it out on the blinds. I just in vested over $300 in two Big Mike Blinds!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I would build a blind from surrounding vegetation.... Couple t posts and some bailing wire and you can make an amazing blind that doesn't cost much, is effective, and is easy to spruce up if a bear messes with it. Just an idea...

schl44

Feb 21, 2014
Hilltop, I like that idea. I already have the wire and t posts lying around my farm. Also will be easer packing in to my water hole locations. Thanks for that Idea!

Lee

libidilatimmy

Veteran member
Oct 22, 2013
Wyoming
I would build a blind from surrounding vegetation.... Couple t posts and some bailing wire and you can make an amazing blind that doesn't cost much, is effective, and is easy to spruce up if a bear messes with it. Just an idea...
This is what I'd do as well. I wouldn't want to put anymore unnatural scents around a blind area than I had to. I'll make a natural blind and when I go to use it, I take camo burlap and line the inside of the blind with it to help conceal any movement.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Hilltop, I like that idea. I already have the wire and t posts lying around my farm. Also will be easer packing in to my water hole locations. Thanks for that Idea!

Lee
Your welcome. I use these more than any other style of blind... the vegetation will turn brown in time but you can always add a fresh branch here and there for contrast. I make these for turkey and whitetail all the time at the base of cedar trees. Trim all the lower branches and then build the blind back to look like the base of the tree. They work for turkeys so IMO they will work for anything out there...