Black Hills - Whitetail/Mule Deer

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
LOL. SDGFP Commission just voted to cube preference points in limited draw units.

The people who haven't been applying for 20 years are basically pushed out of the draw.

I will probably burn my points on cow tags and move on.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Wouldn't that mean someone with 20 years worth of points woudl have a significantly more of a chance?

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Wouldn't that mean someone with 20 years worth of points woudl have a significantly more of a chance?
By a massive margin. It is basically instituting a preference point system without having the courage to actually do it. I still have a chance, but it is so small I won't even play. It will take a really long time for the top point holders to work their way out of the system, in the meantime new people have no chance statistically.

20cubed=160,000 tickets in the draw.

3cubed=81 tickets in the draw.

Statistically irrelevant.

Leftover second draw cow tags will be a thing of the past, as people like me will look at the odds and not want to wait 20 years to draw. I will kill cows in SD to get my feet wet before travelling out of state to hunt.

I only listened to a small part of the meeting as the SDPB website wasn't working well for me, but from what I understand changes are coming in regards to nonresident archery deer tags as well. As soon as they post the audio file I will link it here with relevant issues they discuss.

To my way of thinking this will be a huge hit to new hunters. My wife and I have the intelligence and finances to hunt out of state, so it doesn't affect us much. It gonna take years to move high point holders out of the deer draw, and decades to move them from the elk draw.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Thanks for the correction. Cube has four sides so...... :p I think we all know now why I got a C in Statistics.

Odds are still really bad. 20^8000
3^27

Not good for my chances of drawing a tag anytime soon.

Archery stuff will be interesting. As will this. Nothing is finalized until after study and a comment period, which ends January something. SDGFP said they want it ready for the next elk draw in May I think.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Ha... So I just called. Told the guy me scenario. He told me it was basically a once in a life time draw for nonresident deer in Black Hills. There was an awkward moment of silence, i said well I️ think I️ have about a 10% chance at the any deer and 75% plus at the whitetail according to the website. Another awkward silence, he responds, sounds like you know more than me. Annnd, I️ just said thank you, have a nice day.
Super cool[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Ya, I got pretty much the same thing when I called.

Today I actually went SDGFP in Sioux Falls and a great conversation with an employee there.

Nonresident archery was not dealt with at this meeting according to him, but will be at the next. Something will change in that situation. Public input will be taken for the next month on enhanced PP proposal.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
This particular fire is burning almost exclusively in Custer State and Wind Cave National Parks.

Very limited to no tags around there.

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD

Ya I worked the fire this past week. Glad to hear I was right about the odds and have more info than the gfp answering reps. I think going to bonus system with years being cubed will actually benefit the system. It will get the tags to those who have put in the years of preference while getting rid of those who can?t last.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
LOL. Well SDGFP commission passed the cubing of preference points.

If you don't already have ten points the odds of drawing a bull tag are almost zero. For decades. H2A21 had 172 tags available to the ten plus group last year. 2600 people applied for those tags. All of those people's point totals, which are cubed to give the number they get in the draw will increase every year. Making that group more and more significant every year. Decades worth of people in the system who will crowd out newcomers.

Good job.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
So without looking at my preference point list I'm pretty sure I have SD West River Deer and Black Hills Deer
3 points in each I think.
Is it worth while me getting more points or am I pretty much screwed?

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Last year 331 applications for 280 tags for BH whitetail.

For Any Deer? IDK. I called SDGFP about getting more information regarding exactly how many people hold how many points and they claimed that information wasn't readily available. I spoke directly with the head of licensing, and he told me that about 10% of people don't apply for any given season. I would think for non residents that would be much higher. About 350 people are vying for 16 tags in that draw in 2017, but without knowing how many points they have it would be a guess at best. Either way, you would still have a chance where if you were competing against thousands of people with 15-20 points your odds of drawing a tag would be minimal, such as we are facing in the elk draw.

I think calling SDGFP and asking for that information would not be out of line.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama

Ya I worked the fire this past week. Glad to hear I was right about the odds and have more info than the gfp answering reps. I think going to bonus system with years being cubed will actually benefit the system. It will get the tags to those who have put in the years of preference while getting rid of those who can?t last.

Not to be an ass or anything but you weren't right. The more points you have the more chances you have, even before the changes. The guy in the video explains it very clearly. You can't get your exact odds because they don't give all the info for you to break it down.

Like I said I'm not trying to start an argument but horsenhike was pretty much spot on with his info.

siwulat

Sep 6, 2014
Minneapolis
Can you point me to the stuff about archery? I found the PP cubing info on the website but couldn’t find anything to do with nonres archery.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Can you point me to the stuff about archery? I found the PP cubing info on the website but couldn’t find anything to do with nonres archery.
I was told by a SDGFP employee that they would be discussing it at the January meeting. I honestly do not have time to listen to all of those hours to find it. I'm not even sure it is there, but that is where I would look.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Just read through this thread quickly...seems it's all about South Dakota. How about hunting the Black Hills of Wyoming? There is great whitetail hunting in the Black Hills of Wyoming. Been doing it for 31 years.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Sure, at $400 a tag. :D
The original poster is from Montana, so if he hunts in South Dakota he'll have to buy a nonresident tag (about $286).

Just saying there is great whitetail hunting on the Wyoming side of the Black Hills on pubic land. And I don't think the NR tag is hard to draw...used to have a buddy from Minnesota come join me just about every year. He didn't seem to have trouble drawing a tag.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Unit A I believe. Very easy to draw tags.

For the money WY tags cost it would be a pricey whitetail. I think success is good though like you said. And who knows, could always run across a nice mule deer, which in SD is a very hard to get tag in the BH.