Black cloud

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I bought a case of black cloud 2 3/4 3?s, to shoot out of my A5, since it will only accept 2 3/4 shells.. my A5 has NEVER not cycled a shell, and it won?t cycle these.. anyone ever experience this ? I?m not sure if the brass is too thin, or the brass expands and the gets stuck or what.... but, it?s cycling in my other guns.
As an interesting note, it wouldn?t cycle in my dads A5 either, so I?m doubting it?s a cleanliness issue with the gun.
Either way, I?ve got 9 boxes of 2.75 inch bullets that won?t shoot out of the gun I intended the, to. And about 5 cases of 3 inch bullets that I?d rather shoot instead.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
what happens when you try to insert a used shell back in you gun is it tight
also how heavy of a load in oz they just might bot have enough ump to eject

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I've not tried inserting a used shell back into the chamber.. I dont think the gun is over oiled, or sticky.. The shells will only not eject in both of these A5's, and both of these A5's will cycle the other shot shells I've got.
These are 1 1/8 oz loads, and I just checked the other two loads I normally shoot out of the gun, as it's currently set up - 1 ounce loads, and 1 1/4 ounce loads.. So, I dunno.
I will say, these shells do flat kill ducks dead, with those flitestopper pellets.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I've not tried inserting a used shell back into the chamber.. I dont think the gun is over oiled, or sticky.. The shells will only not eject in both of these A5's, and both of these A5's will cycle the other shot shells I've got.
These are 1 1/8 oz loads, and I just checked the other two loads I normally shoot out of the gun, as it's currently set up - 1 ounce loads, and 1 1/4 ounce loads.. So, I dunno.
I will say, these shells do flat kill ducks dead, with those flitestopper pellets.
Yeah, best to avoid hitting them twice with the flitestopper pellets.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
When you insert the shell into the chamber does it go in or does it have to be forced shut?

A shotgun shell should drop right into the bore of a shotgun the whole way to the shoulder with 0 friction without slamming the action home.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Are the recoil rings and buffer set correctly? This makes a lot of difference with some ammunition. Especially if you have an A-5 Magnum. I doubt if it is over oiled. Grease is another story. In very cold weather grease on the magazine tube may affect functioning if it is too heavy, or the grease is too think. I had this problem with my A-5 Magnum in freezing weather, and I was using the Browning supplied grease.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Are the recoil rings and buffer set correctly? This makes a lot of difference with some ammunition. Especially if you have an A-5 Magnum. I doubt if it is over oiled. Grease is another story. In very cold weather grease on the magazine tube may affect functioning if it is too heavy, or the grease is too think. I had this problem with my A-5 Magnum in freezing weather, and I was using the Browning supplied grease.
Nope.. Rings and buffers were set correctly, and it wasnt cold that day.. Gun cycled everything I shot through it, except the Black Cloud.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I would try lightly lubricating the buffer ring on the magazine tube. If that does not work, contact Federal. Perhaps there is a problem with that lot of ammunition. I have Auto fives in 12/16/20, and have never had a feed problem with the standard guns. The only problem I ever encountered was with a 12-Magnum that I mentioned in an earlier post. I agree with you that is unlikely it is a gun problem.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Update.. It's definitely the black cloud. Found a used shell, tried to fit it in, had to really force it. I could manually eject, but the shell wouldnt fall out. Tested it with a live shell. Live shell would slide in pretty tightly, but wouldnt fall back out, had to be ejected out.
Tried it with 4 other brands, some of which weren't even in great condition - Federal premium, Remington Nitro Steel, Fiocchi, and some really old semi rusted Remington cheapies, I think Sportsmans. All of those dropped in with no problem, and then when i tipped the gun barrel up, all fell back out.
Guess I'll just shoot them out of my Citori

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Glad you found the issue. I personally never liked Federal shotshells. I have a winchester model 12 that never shot them right and rubbed me the wrong way I guess.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
Update.. It's definitely the black cloud. Found a used shell, tried to fit it in, had to really force it. I could manually eject, but the shell wouldnt fall out. Tested it with a live shell. Live shell would slide in pretty tightly, but wouldnt fall back out, had to be ejected out.
Tried it with 4 other brands, some of which weren't even in great condition - Federal premium, Remington Nitro Steel, Fiocchi, and some really old semi rusted Remington cheapies, I think Sportsmans. All of those dropped in with no problem, and then when i tipped the gun barrel up, all fell back out.
Guess I'll just shoot them out of my Citori
bingo :) get your money back