Bipod or Shooting Stick

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I’m looking to see which is best to shoot while hunting. I mainly still hunt in timber but occasionally have open country. A lot times don't get the option to use a tree or downfall to rest my gun on. I feel the bipod would hamper my ability to get shoots at times and I don’t really like adding extra weight. I don’t want something cumbersome or bulky to pack around. What do you guys use and recommend?

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Sounds like some sort of shooting sticks would work better for you. I don’t use any, but I’ve seen guys use all sorts. Primos trigger stick comes to mind, it can be used as a walking stick and has a fork on it to use as a shooting stick also.
There are a lot of bipods out now that are quick attach if you want to go that route, this is what I use. When I’m using the bipod it is for a longer shot, that I have time to setup for though.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I use a Harris Bi-Pod. I really didn't like the weight out front at first, but have gotten used to it. It has definitely been used a ton. Putting it up and down becomes somewhat second nature and is very fast. I use it every time I am glassing or sitting on stand just to keep my gun handy and safe also. Every time I take it off I realize how much I use it and put it back on. Kind of a love/hate relationship :).

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If I carry sticks, I use my trusty 48" survey laths with a 1/4-20 bolt and lock washer. They are wood and don't make that "tink" noise when you hit them on something. If I see something and don't need them, I can drop them on the ground and not have to worry about them making any unnatural noises. They double as a nice walking stick.

If I see something and feel that I need them, I spread them, take a rest, level up and shoot. It can happen in a about 2 seconds. If I need to go higher, I pull a leg in, if I need to go lower, I drop a leg down. It's very fast.

No way would I ever use a bipod. Takes too much time adjusting crap.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Sounds like some sort of shooting sticks would work better for you. I don’t use any, but I’ve seen guys use all sorts. Primos trigger stick comes to mind, it can be used as a walking stick and has a fork on it to use as a shooting stick also.
There are a lot of bipods out now that are quick attach if you want to go that route, this is what I use. When I’m using the bipod it is for a longer shot, that I have time to setup for though.
I have been using a Trigger Stick for years. Helps in walking and it is great for a rest for shooting. I am older and have 2 replacement knees and a ankle too and sometimes in rough country a walking stick really helps.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Harris bipod never comes off my rifle anymore. I have the legs eject model with swivel head.
Still frequently carry a tripod trigger stick. I wouldn't have gotten the bull last Sunday without it. About 300 yards downhill trying to clear the oakbrush.
If I'm sitting all day somewhere in a blind or not to far from the truck I have the bog pod death grip also.
Regardless I always have some form of artificial support.

raspy

Apr 15, 2016
ND
I run the Caldwell carbon fiber bipods. I was in the same boat as you and hunted with a shooting stick and it worked well but I would rather use bipods over the sticks as I tend to sit more. They aren’t crazy expensive and light weight

Reactions: Maxhunter

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I have an old red leg bog pod. It's ok. I've been looking at the bod death grip, it looks like it could be handy. I also think a rifle setup with an arca rail for quick attachment might be a great compromise.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to try the Swagger Lite sticks.

Reactions: ScottR and idcwby

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
i use a sparten precision bipod and have a quik-stix adapter for my trekking poles that way its easy to switch if i have a sitting or prone shot and dont have to leave bipod attached to my rifle. i think my bipod is 5-7oz and the quick stix pc is 2oz? i carry my trekking poles all the time so its a option that i like.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Thanks for the suggestions. I’m going to try the Swagger Lite sticks.

You will like them, I honestly use them from the seated position but as a rest for the butt of the stock. I use the QD model up front, with the stalker lites in back. Really solid rest with enough movent to follow across a landscape.

I used that set up on this hunt:

If prone is an option I will use Swagger's solid state options like the SEA.