Big bear down!!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
image.jpgimage.jpg

We got a big CA bear yesterday morning! I hope those pics went through. I was not the shooter, and my friend wishes to remain anonymous, hence the face covering. He weighed all of 300+ lbs, and should be close to 6' I think. We dont trophy hunt, just got lucky to find this monster!! My friends first kill ever, so I couldnt be happier for him.

Story goes....

We started off at camp, and slowly hunted 2 miles into the wilderness. A clearing on a large hillside with lots of shrub caught our attention, so we wandered over to see if anything was around. I layed down against the hill to rest and watch, while my friend stood to my right around 30 yards away. After 5 mins, I saw a bear butt moving slowly away from me to my right, into a smal tree patch, beneath my friend by 30 yards and out of his sight. I quickly gave my friend the signal that something was right beneath us! He had no clue it was a bear. It was so cold I had trouble racking my bolt to chamber a round, but finally slammed it home and began creeping towards the tree patch. My friend had the better angle, and after a few minutes, while quietly sneaking in, he saw the brute standing there at 20 yards, eating some remains of something. Turned out to be a gut pile from a deer hunter. My buddy put the scope on him, and Bam!!! shot the bear right through the lungs! As he ran away I yelled shoot him again!!! Bam!! Right in the lungs again, and he was down for good at 80 yards, in sight. We still gave him 30 min to expire, to be safe, then walked in to see what we had. Hes an absolute monster!! Im no judge on trophy bear, but that to me is a trophy!! He goes into the taxidermist today, and Ill update with his size from a pro. My friend earned that bear through years of hard hunting, and his first kill is a blessing. Im happy to have just been there with good friends, to have enjoyed the gorgeous scenery we were in, and to have gotten so lucky to be successful. This is the second best big game hunt of my life, and I never killed an animal on either hunt. I could not be happier!!!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
To follow up on this, we've looked at how to measure a bear skull, so going to put the calipers on him tonight. With a flat tape measure, wet skull, being very conservative, he should go 18"+ easily. The cape went to the taxi last night and will be turned into a fine rug. The taxidermist guessed his age at 12-14 years!! The real work begins tonight as we are going to be processing the meat into delicious sausage, jerky, and burger. We were racing a storm when we shot him at 830, with it expected to hit by 2. We had him packed out in 2 trips and back to camp by 1, with just enough time to pack up, and try a tenderloin! He tasted great! I didnt trim up the meat at all, cooked the silver skin, fat, n all attached to the loin. Just oil, salt, pepper, and it was delicious! We werent starving either... had been eating tritip for days. He may have been a little tough to chew, but he was no garbage bear... a real treat!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
Also, a big thanks to all the congrats from you all! Hunting in CA has been tough on my friend and I, so being successful feels great!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Interesting that anyone who shoots a trophy bear would like to remain autonomous. Never understood that.

Extractor

Jun 7, 2015
Appleton, Wisconsin
What a shame someone has to feel like having to be anonymous because they shot an animal. That sucks . He should be able to be proud of his success without worrying about being harassed. Anti's suck!!!

PacWestUL

Jul 19, 2016
CA
In the sad state of Commifornistan, it can absolutely harm business or personal relationships with people who understand virtually nothing of reality....

Ca_Vermonster

Apr 1, 2016
Great bear! Congrats to your buddy!

My 8 year old got his first ever turkey last spring, and I hid his face also. Too many idiots out there who would like to cause trouble, unfortunately......