Best procedure for mounting a base?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
OBBB5,

I don't know what is going on with your rifle. I do know that sometimes the coating applied to a new rifle will have little spots that look like rust. It is always good to totally degrease a new rifle (after pulling the barrelled action from the stock, of course), and put on a thin coat of Remoil. If the spots aren't easily removed, or have some pitting behind them, then it is definitely rust, and I would be pissed.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
OBBB5,

I don't know what is going on with your rifle. I do know that sometimes the coating applied to a new rifle will have little spots that look like rust. It is always good to totally degrease a new rifle (after pulling the barrelled action from the stock, of course), and put on a thin coat of Remoil. If the spots aren't easily removed, or have some pitting behind them, then it is definitely rust, and I would be pissed.
Yeah I could see surface rust which is no big deal. We need pics!

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
When ever I obtain a new or used rifle, the first thing I do is remove the barreled action from the stock and give it a Barricade silicone bath. That stuff is awesome!! It eats any surface rust off, and provides a protection layer from future moisture. It also makes the action buttery smooth, anyone familier with it.

oops, time for a new thread.

Last edited:

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Surface rust on the follower spring? Not unheard of in a new rifle, but if they sent you back your old stock, it is likely they returned the follower, follower spring, magazine housing, bottom metal, and trigger all from your original rifle. That wouldn't be a big deal to me, as they are mild steel springs and get some surface rust if you look at them sideways.

Were there were spots of rust on the new barrelled action? That would be disconcerting.

Apr 7, 2011
Oregon
Bitterroot,
it didn't clean off, but i didn't try real hard either. I'm positive it was rust, i even showed a few friends before i called remington to get a few other opinions. I just kept getting more mad as i found more spots all over this "new" gun. I may be making a mountian out of a mole hill but since i bought a brand new gun that is where i was holding my expectations. Either way i sent it back and i told them i wanted a refund. It looks like my origional purpose for this thread (mounting a base) will have to be postponed for a little while.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
That is a real bummer OBBB5,

I don't know how it happened, especially being stainless steel, but on the bright side ...

You get to go gun shopping.

I hope it turns out better the next time.

Apr 7, 2011
Oregon
Thanks Bitterroot. I'm not sure how it would happen on a stainless gun either, when i talked with remington they told me this gun was on backorder and it would be months before it could be replaced so im wondering if they tried to fix mine with a barrel and action that was just laying around or something or maybe used.