Best Cold Weather Gloves?

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
My "warm" gloves are shot. Time for a new pair. I will be using these primarily when sitting in cold weather (30 degrees down to zero). Mostly hilltop glassing and treestand sitting. What everyone using? What are your favorites?

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
It gets dang cold here in Minnesota, about the only thing that keeps my hands warm sitting is a pair of some kind of mittens. Like go deep said the wool ones are great.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
Cabela's used to make a pair of Gore-Tex / Thinsulate gauntlet gloves (extend over the wrist, about half way to elbow). And they came with a fleece liner glove that go inside the main glove.

Warmest pair of gloves I've ever owned. Unfortunately they stopped making them years ago. I purchased two pair...still using the original pair...other sitting in basement with tags on them.

Two tricks to keeping my hands warm: Use the "hot-hands hand warmers" and use them often! Other trick, bring an extra pair of gloves, throw some hand-warmers in them, and tuck them under your armpits, inside your coat.

When the gloves you are wearing get cold, swap for the gloves under your arms.

I tried mittens for a while, and they do keep you hands warm. But i found myself taking them off to use my hands too much. Kind of defeats the purpose of mittens.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Fold back mittens with merino wool liners and toastie toes for handwarmers. My best cold weather gloves are the UA mittens.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I have several pairs of felted mittens that my wife made for me. They are knitted out of wool and they start out huge like clown mittens. then they get shrunk in the dryer on just with hot water. The wool shrinks and the mittens end up normal size but the wool gets super tight and you would not believe how thick and warm they are. Great for ice fishing too.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
boiled wool mittens, if you can find the ones that the mitten flips back to a fingerless glove all the better, and then some type of overmitt, like a snowboarder over mitt works very well.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Get the Ice Armor ice fishing gloves. Those are the best gloves I have ever found. And my hands get super cold...very quickly.

Bughalli

Jan 15, 2012
I don't own them, but tried them on in the showroom store. Kuiu makes a mitten with down that are crazy warm. I was impressed. I might get them for late season glassing. That's about the only time I would use them. Otherwise I switched to using a hand muff. One of those things you wear around your waist that you put your hands in. They are very good if you buy a good quality one. Then I can wear a light pair of gloves in it and still have dexterity. If really cold I throw a hand warmer packet in there. Never had cold hands with that setup for winter hunting (tree stand hunting down to single digits)

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I use a light pair of Sitka gloves for warmer weather and Aleyeskan wool gloves over them when needed. I have the Kuiu down mittens but no weather cold enough for them yet. They are a bit clumsy running my Outdoorsmans tripod with them but it works. They are extremely warm, make hand sweat fast

Welchji

Jan 18, 2017
Southern AL
I like the technique the USAF teaches at their Arctic Survival School. Small pair of liner gloves under a large pair of mittens. Connect the mittens with a piece of cord that is a couple inches longer than your arm span. Run the cord over your shoulders and behind your neck, even while wearing the mittens. Take the mittens off, swing behind your back and give the cord a single twist to keep them out of your way while working. The liner gloves were just enough to keep hands warm and give you the dexterity needed to complete fine motor tasks. Mittens back on when you're done. The layered liner glove and mittens kept my hands warm in -40 deg F weather for a week.

Granted that was with standard issue gear. I plan to apply the technique with kuiu liner gloves and super down mittens next season.