base layer

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I always try to keep up on my logbook during a trip, and have done so since I was 17. At the end of a trip, I make a list of "lessons learned", including clothing for the conditions encountered. It is easy to forget or mix up what you should have done.
For instance, on my last WY cow elk hunt at the end of January....it wasn't unreasonably cold, maybe 20+, but it was hazy much of the time that limited the effectiveness of my rangefinder, and I had to work my way uphill through 2 1/2' of snow. I started out layered up, but after the weather warmed and the going got tougher, I took off and packed the down vest and outer shell. Later on the shell went back on, and if for some reason I didn't make it off the mt. that night the vest would have been a lifesaver.
Mistakes: Better waterproof shooting gloves
Gaiters on the outside of all my pants. I had them over the inner pants, but had my shell over them. After getting the cow it was
long, hard slide downhill and the pants filled with snow that later froze. I had reasoned that it would be easier to remove the
shell pants w/o the gaiters, but because of the snow, I never did. It took me a long while by the woodstove to get them off.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Costco regularly sells the 32-degree line especially around Sept/Oct. I've bought three sets there so far. They're fine. Not great, but fine.