Barnes 185TTSX in .338 WIN MAG

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
I'm trying to put together a load for my .338 Win Mag using the 185 TTSX. Anybody have experience with this bullet in the 338? Any load data or best powders they have found for it? i've tried a few bullets heavier than this but wanted to see if anyone has real world experience with this bullet on game out of the 338. Thanks for any info.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I am having a hunting partner of mine (who is also a gunsmith and a state long range champ) load up another batch for me. I had a lot of problems finding the sweet load for my Winchester Super Grade .338. He glass bedded it for me and worked up some loads and turned it into a MOA shooter with the 185 gr. TSX. He was unable to locate any available TTSX during the last couple months, so we stuck with the TSX. I will check with him on the powder that he used, and get back to you. He cronographed the load at 3034 fps. I have shot two 6x6 bulls with it, and both were DRT. The first was a high shoulder (running shot) with a recovered bullet under the far side hide. The second went through both shoulder blades and again was found intact and well mushroomed under the hide. Both had been stalked from miles away, and were shot at under 60 yards. The TTSX will have a better BC, but at the range I am apt to shoot it will make no difference. I probably went through $200 of factory ammo (mostly 225 gr.) before going this route. My only other bull was shot with factory 225 gr. Accubonds (40 yards). He did spend some time working up an optimum COL.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Ok, thanks. When you get more info on load specs i would love to cross reference what i was gonna try. I looked on Midway and they are out of stock and it says limited production for the TTSX. So maybe i will snag up all the 185s around here just incase its discontinued, that way i have plenty! Thanks and will keep in touch on load development.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Here's the info 0n the .338 load. As always, work up to this loading by reducing the powder a few grains.
185 Grain Barnes TSX (or TTSX if you can find them)
74.5 grains H4350SC
Federal 215 primer

As previously stated, he had to do some work on the optimum bullet seating, but that would be specific to your rifle anyway. He chronoed this load at 3034 fps. It shoots well and it hits hard. Maybe this year I will find out how it does beyond 60 yards, as I have a guided elk hunt in WY this Oct. I also have a late season cow hunt, but plan to use my 30-06 for that. Good Luck

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Thanks for the info. Ya i have 1 box of the TTSX 185s and seen another at sporting goods store yesterday. I didn't buy it because i bought a box of 210gr. Swift Scirocco IIs for the 338. Gonna try these out also. They were on sale also. I think i can find a few of the 185s here so i will see how these first loads shoot before i buy more! Thanks for the info, i will get back with you on how the loading goes.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Food for thought. When hand loading and looking for most accurate loads.....Nosler does a pretty extensive amount of testing and lists most accurate load per powder/Gr and most accurate overall powder tested. I use the Accubond data for Barnes/Nosler/Sierra hand loads we make. (close to the same type of bullet used disclaimer) 180Gr/338 WMag data link below for ya.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/338-winchester-magnum/

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Ok thanks elkhunter, if that's what load i use and can't find anymore i will get ahold of you. I also use the newest Nosler book on my loads, I have about 8-10 reloading manuals i cross reference for loads. Thanks for the info Slugz, i will see if that's the same as the info i have. I do have a pretty sweet load using the 300gr Woodleigh Weldcore roundnose in 338. It's pretty slow 2250 FPS, But it will shoot 3/4 inch groups at 100yds all day. I just wanted something a little faster and flatter incase i have to shoot a longer distance. Thanks though fellas for the info.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For faster I have some 185 Barnes XLC that I used to shoot out of my 340 Weatherby.

These will get you another 100-300 fps out of your .338

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
I'm trying to put together a load for my .338 Win Mag using the 185 TTSX. Anybody have experience with this bullet in the 338? Any load data or best powders they have found for it? i've tried a few bullets heavier than this but wanted to see if anyone has real world experience with this bullet on game out of the 338. Thanks for any info.
Ballisticly speaking would be much better off shooting a 225gr or heavier boolit

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
Ballisticly speaking would be much better off shooting a 225gr or heavier boolit
In what way?
At what range?
And why do people mispell bullet?

The only difference I see is that the heavier 225gr bullet will produce about 100 ft-lb of energy more than the 185gr bullet (not much difference between the two out to 400 yards) at ranges out to 400 yards. At 200 yards both bullets will have about the same drop and at 400 yards the 185gr bullet drops around 4" less than the 225gr bullet.