Barbary Sheep

hoshour

Veteran member
Well guys, it's been a good while since I've had time to be on the forum. Between Eastmans' and my other duties, I've hardly had time to breathe. Fortunately, I get a break in a couple weeks for a Barbary sheep hunt in NM units 32, 34. 36, 37..

If anyone has been and has any thoughts on hunting aoudad, that would be great.

I'm not looking for specific areas, more interested in general advice on finding a good ram and whether it's necessary to hike a long way to get a good ram. My knee is in bad shape and probably won't let me hike more than 3-4 miles, so I'm going to have to rely more than usual on a truck and a lot of time behind good glass.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I've only hunted them in the big bend area of Texas. Terlingua and devils river. Awesome animal.
I only know one person who has hunted them in New Mexico. PRhunter on this forum. I don't remember the details but it was a very tough hunt several years ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Can't wait to hear more about this hunt. Good luck Hoshour!

I bet JimP has some intel as well as PRHunter.

hoshour

Veteran member
You’re more than welcome to come along to get some experience. The guy that was going with me dropped out so we now have three of us with tags which makes it a little unhandy. The other two are father and son so that leaves me on my own or hunting all together which is not ideal.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
What an awesome offer. Bad time for me right now with a big work merger. Any other time... dang.
I even have rolled over vacation time to use! Grrr

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The joys of being a working man. I remember those days when you almost had to beg time off to do something, and it was next to impossible to get a week off with short notice.

hoshour

Veteran member
I’ve never put in for them, like JimP just had them on my radar and then last year had a sense I should apply, and bam, beat the 8% odds the first time. I had the same thing happen years ago with CO mtn goat - 6% odds, had a sense I ought to apply and drew the first year. That’s why I’ll take random odds or hybrid odds over lots of points all day long.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Should have elaborated earlier.
Like I said I've only hunted south texas but I'm sure they behave similar.
I only saw them in bottoms if they were quickly crossing from one outcropping to another. Running from me. Lol
Sometimes can be spotted feeding on steep hillsides where they blend very well and difficult to spot. They love to be on the highest spot available so they can see in every direction.
Usually living in arid areas if you can find the water source they will be around but do travel long distances.
If you don't see any in a day of hunting and have another area I'd move.
My first hunt due to lack of water I only saw 5 in a several days of hunting.
Second hint in a different area where there was a spring I saw closer to 30 in a few days.
Best of luck on your hunt. Great experience n memories.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
I have hunted them in NM units 29/30. PM me for some general info. I do not live far (2-3 hrs)from where you'll be hunting. I'll ask around to gather some INTEL for you.

The only input I can give right now is bring a good glass and enough gun, these animals are TOUGH.

Check out some of my old posts on Barbary sheep if you'd like to see some pics of the terrain.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
While putting in miles on the treadmill last night, I caught an episode of meat eater and he was hunting aoudad. Looks like a physically demanding hunt and definitely tough critters to find!
Can?t wait to hear some stories on this forum later this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoshour

Veteran member
While putting in miles on the treadmill last night, I caught an episode of meat eater and he was hunting aoudad. Looks like a physically demanding hunt and definitely tough critters to find!
Can?t wait to hear some stories on this forum later this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I'm expecting. Wish I had time to scout and had extra pairs of eyes to glass. I'm going to try out some GPO Passion 12.5x50 binos on a tripod along with my spotter. Using them around here, they seem extremely sharp and the weight is really not bad. I could see replacing my 10x42s.

My biggest concern is my bad knee. Everyone talks about hiking 10+ miles a day trying to find them. In Colorado last fall, my knee was getting sore after three miles. Hopefully, spacing it out with glassing sessions will help, along with hiking sticks, a knee brace and anti-inflammatory meds. We'll see. After drawing a tag, I'm sure not staying home. A week from going, I'm getting stoked for a challenge.