Barbary sheep

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Posted this on the New Mexico section, but figured I'd post here too.

Was lucky enough to draw this unique New Mexico Auodad tag this year. Since this isn't a typical species most guys hunt, was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience hunting them. I'm guessing a lot of hiking and glassing, but anything specific about this hunt would be appreciated. Judging a good ram seems difficult too.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Posted this on the New Mexico section, but figured I'd post here too.

Was lucky enough to draw this unique New Mexico Auodad tag this year. Since this isn't a typical species most guys hunt, was wondering if anyone had any advice or experience hunting them. I'm guessing a lot of hiking and glassing, but anything specific about this hunt would be appreciated. Judging a good ram seems difficult too.
Congrats on the tag

bullgator

Nov 29, 2015
FL Panhandle
I'm sorry I can't help you out there. However, while researching my hunt I did come across a few people on other forums saying to pay attention to the Guadalupe rim. But you probably already knew that. I did get some good pointers from game warden in Roswell. Good luck.

gbbrogan

May 17, 2017
Idaho
Did you have any luck? I drew that tag for 2018. I have talked to one game warden but plan on calling another I have a number for as well.

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fill my tag, but had a lot of opportunities and had a blast doing it. I did a little write up on my hunt in the New Mexico section.

gbbrogan

May 17, 2017
Idaho
MSU cat61 which unit did you mainly focus on. I am leaving on Thursday to hunt all next week. I am starting over around Alamagordo but will probably end up around Roswell. Would love to know some canyon names. I have most maps.