Barbary Sheep Hunt

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I wanted to see New Mexico to look over areas I might like to apply for future hunts. I discovered you could get an over the counter Barbary sheep tag. I did a little research and made a plan to get out there and give it a try. This is not an easy task and a phone malfunction ended in lost pictures. Guess which ones. Anyway it was a great trip with some success. Hunting this area which is given with some mapping skills was very difficult. Wind was so bad for a couple days we could not even get out of the truck for 24 hours. I was afraid the truck might blow over a couple times. All in all it was a great trip. I saw a lot of New Mexico and found a few areas I plan to try to draw tags for. As for the God forsaken area I hunted. I never plan to return. I don't understand how anything can survive there. 20210314_165407.jpg20210315_112310.jpg20210315_112316.jpg20210315_112327.jpg20210315_143545.jpg20210326_082826.jpg

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For some reason I just don't trust phones for picture taking. I even installed a separate card to store my pictures on and I still don't trust it.

Congrats on the sheep, any story behind it or just I went, I found, and I shot?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Very cool! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

People living in those caves makes me appreciate temporarily living in a camper...lol

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
For some reason I just don't trust phones for picture taking. I even installed a separate card to store my pictures on and I still don't trust it.

Congrats on the sheep, any story behind it or just I went, I found, and I shot?
I wish it was that easy. I got information from a nice biologist and after many hours of studding ONX narrowed down the information he gave me. First day we covered over six miles glassing from sun up till dark seeing nothing but a badger. Talked to a local at the Ice machine in town that just happens to come to my home town to river fish for catfish. He told us there was a group going to hay bales on a small piece of private property. The rancher was running them off but would not allow hunting. A little glassing from distance and I figured out where they ran to was on public. Made a game plan and set up on them. Worked like a charm. There were no big rams in the group. All other efforts had not turned up any sheep at all. The one I got was the largest one. I am happy to have it. It has 7 inch base and 17 inch length..