BALLISTIC CHART

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I would like some help from the group in sighting in my new 270 rifle. The shells I will be shooting are the factory Federal Barnes TSX in 130 grain. A chart would be very helpful.
Thanks for all your assistance and Happy Trails!
GMan

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
To start with you need to know the velocity of the round out of your rifle along with what your sighted in distance is. The factory published velocity is usually 200feet per second faster or so.

You can work up your own by just shooting at increased ranges. Start with where you are sighted in at. Then increase the distance out to where you feel is your max range is in 50 yard increments and write down the bullet drop of the bullet

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
To start with you need to know the velocity of the round out of your rifle along with what your sighted in distance is. The factory published velocity is usually 200feet per second faster or so.

You can work up your own by just shooting at increased ranges. Start with where you are sighted in at. Then increase the distance out to where you feel is your max range is in 50 yard increments and write down the bullet drop of the bullet
The chart I did find has me 3.7 inches high at 100 and zero at 300. Does that sound right?

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
The chart I did find has me 3.7 inches high at 100 and zero at 300. Does that sound right?
Yes sounds about right, so you will hit 1.5 to 2 inches low at the muzzle, 3.7 high at 100, maybe 4.5 high at 200, dead on at 300, guessing about 11 low at 400

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I find the Strelok mobile app is REALLY helpful. It's everything you want: A. Free (not even any ads), B. Has a huge variety of scope reticles and other products built in, C. You can enter all your relevant stats including altitude, temperature, wind, etc. It will give you the data and charts for your ballistics right there on the spot.

You can put in your precise bullet, load, rifle, etc. Have a look, it eliminates a lot of guesswork.

2019-08-12 11.07.11.png 2019-08-12 11.07.20.png 2019-08-12 11.07.30.png

bdan68

Nov 13, 2013
Rochester, Washington
I would suggest being about 2 inches high at 100 yards. Being almost 4 inches high puts your bullet even higher at 200, and that's just too much, in my opinion. That is unless your closest shot while hunting will be 300 yards. But for me it's easier to think about holding a little high for the longer shots than to hold low for the closer shots.

Reactions: Prerylyon and gman1

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I can work up a chart for you later this week.

Here is the information I will need:

Is the bullet a TSX (no blue tip) or a TTSX with a blue tip?

The published velocity

How high is the scope. Measure from the center of the barrel to the center of the scope

What distance is the rifle sighted in at?

The average temperature of where you will be hunting or shooting it at

Finally the altitude you are hunting or shooting at.

With this information I can get you a pretty good one for you to work with

Reactions: gman1

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I would suggest being about 2 inches high at 100 yards. Being almost 4 inches high puts your bullet even higher at 200, and that's just too much, in my opinion. That is unless your closest shot while hunting will be 300 yards. But for me it's easier to think about holding a little high for the longer shots than to hold low for the closer shots.
That makes a lot of sense and will adjust accordingly.
Thanks and happy trails
Gman

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I can work up a chart for you later this week.

Here is the information I will need:

Is the bullet a TSX (no blue tip) or a TTSX with a blue tip?

The published velocity

How high is the scope. Measure from the center of the barrel to the center of the scope

What distance is the rifle sighted in at?

The average temperature of where you will be hunting or shooting it at

Finally the altitude you are hunting or shooting at.

With this information I can get you a pretty good one for you to work with
Hi Jim. I don't have the scope mounted yet but can give you the other data.
TSX
3,060 muzzle velocity
sighted in at 300
20 degrees above
1650 altitude
Thanks much for your assistance Jim
Happy Trails,
Gman

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
I personally do, max on my scopes is 14 - 15 though. One problem there is the heart beat wobble may seem exaggerated & cause trigger jerking. Ultimately to me though the better you can see your target the more precisely you can aim on it.

Reactions: gman1

Hatchet Jack

Feb 14, 2018
Appalachian Trail, Maryland
For what it's worth. I shot some HTP ammo out of my old Remington 270 Win, 700 BDL Mountain rifle last two weekends. The gun only has a 21'' barrel. The Remington HTP ammo is a Barnes 130 gr TSX bullet (no plastic tip). Muzzle velocity is supposed to be 3050 fps. I was very happy with the accuracy.
I zeroed in at 200 yds, was about 1.25'' high at 100 yds. At 300 yds I was just shy of 7'' inches low and shot a 2'' group.
This will be my new whitetail ammo.