Baiting Grizzlies

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Alaska has recently opened a few area to baiting of Grizzly/Brown Bears. The black bear bait hunters were complaining that the grizzlies would move in on their stands and keep the black bear away. They were making some grizzlies pretty fat from dog food and doughnuts!

The only caveat is that you have to salvage the meat of the bear for human consumption. Of course, that only means that you have to take it out of the field, they can't make you eat it. Non-residents still need to have a guide.

I just wondered what you all think of this; is it ethical? Anyone want to try a brown bear sandwich?

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
Speaking from experience baiting in unit 16 for griz is ya gotta have a BIG sack to walk into a bait knowing there could be something w/ 5" claws, weighs 600 lbs, jaws that can crush your skull, and is just right onry .. There isn't very many guys out there that are up for that kinda hair raising experience for some chewy ol griz that stinks, taste like a 50 year old goat but with 3 times the meat.

T.S. Allen

Aug 19, 2012
Wyoming
Hey there AKaviator,

Well I have baited black bears for a number of years. Being an archery hunter I think this is great. I have wanted to shoot a big fat brown with archery equipment for my entire life. Stalking an animal like this with a stick and string well it makes me pretty nervous. I would be way more interested if I could be sitting in a tree stand.

Stig87

Apr 14, 2011
Wyoming
I don't think it's any less ethical than hunting black bears over bait. If I were still up there, I would be baiting them.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'm not saying that it's unethical but there has been some resistance to it. I sure do think it's made to order for the bowhunters. We have tons of bears up here right now, both black and brown. Believe me, the moose calves are rooting for more bears to be shot!

I've eaten plenty of black bear but I have to pass on brown bear. The ones I've taken(2) didn't smell palatable to me.

Last edited:

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
There you have it, dress up like a moose calf. Be your own decoy/bait takes on a new meaning when you can be mauled to death.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There you have it, dress up like a moose calf. Be your own decoy/bait takes on a new meaning when you can be mauled to death.
When I was a youngster my Dad took me to an outdoor show (it was in the 50's and nothing like the circus' today!) and heard Fred bear talk about a Polar Bear he took with one of his recurve bows. They shot a seal and skinned it and he wrapped up in the skin and laid near a hole in the ice the seals had been using. The bear came up at a full run and Bear shot it. All the time his guide was backup with a rifle. IMHO that took cajones. If I remember right, it might have been the first Polar Bear taken with a bow.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
When I was a youngster my Dad took me to an outdoor show (it was in the 50's and nothing like the circus' today!) and heard Fred bear talk about a Polar Bear he took with one of his recurve bows. They shot a seal and skinned it and he wrapped up in the skin and laid near a hole in the ice the seals had been using. The bear came up at a full run and Bear shot it. All the time his guide was backup with a rifle. IMHO that took cajones. If I remember right, it might have been the first Polar Bear taken with a bow.
I bet they had to wash the sealskin! :cool: