Backup Bow?

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
This question came up in hunting camp this year. Thought I would ask you all the same. Would you have a backup bow?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
When I hunt local I dont take one. But when I am on a trip I always take one. Too much money and time planning not to have one for me.

Matthews LX and its got its own release and its own 5 arrows with broadheads. I shoot it every year before bow season to make sure its still hitting good and then put it back in its case. All I have to do if something happens to my primary bow is open the case, grab it and go hunting.

It may not be the fastest bow for a backup but the sights are spot on, and its better than going home or trying to deal with a bow shop on a hunt where you have limited time and vacation from work.....

I prepare for the worst because I have bad luck.
I try to keep a little luck in my favor for when something bad happens. And it always does.

On another note, I know a guy from Utah who killed a bull elk with a bow he bought at Walmart after his PSE Monster blew up on him into 20 pieces the day before...he took his sights and rest off his good bow and put them on that cheap bow and then had to electrical tape his quiver on the bow...went out the next day and killed that bull at 15 yards....True story. I wish I had a picture of him with that bow and that bull.

Reactions: lukew

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Never thought about a back up until the airline lost my bow a few years back on a hunt. outfitter had a friend that owned an archery shop so he came in on a Sunday afternoon and I bought a new one and got it set up to be able to hunt. My primary bow showed up two days later so now I have a back up. Came in handy because last year three days before I was leaving, I realized I had a cracked limb. Broke out the other one and ended up using it and killed my biggest Whitetail to date with it. If you have the resources, I say play on the safe side and have a back up.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
I have a backup for my backup. All same lbs and sights, rest and the quivers and stabilizer all interchange. And don't forget the backup release, it is in my pack.

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
In 2016 I had a special draw tag I was super pumped for. I had 10 days off scheduled to hunt. Two days before the hunt I was shooting and a bolt on the cable system sheared off at full draw. The string slipped a cam and blew apart on my hands.
Fortunately I had my old bow and ended up killing a great bull 7 days later.

bows take a lot more time and effort to set up and tune than a rifle. I personally will always have one with a rest set up and tinned to a set of arrows. Not worth loosing a season over a bow problem.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I probably would of my main weapon was a bow but I’m more of a rifle hunter. I always have 2 rifles with me when I’m hunting so I always have a back up.

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
If I’m over 3 hours from home, I have a back-up bow. I’ve been in a position where I’ve needed it two times over the years. My back up bow is an exact set up as my primary……then I just transfer the stabilizer and quiver.

Maxhunter

Veteran member
Apr 10, 2011
Wyoming
I have back-up bows, but never take an extra one with me. I know things can happen, but I always make sure I have new strings and my serving is new etc. I have had serving or a d-loop come undone, but I always have the knowledge and means to repair it in the field. Also when I've been on hunts where you fly in or pack in, you don't always get the luxury of bringing a back-up. Knock on wood I haven't had an issue yet. 😉😉