Backpacking into Trinities or Marble Mts

Calbuck

Feb 7, 2013
Northeastern California
Anybody care to share any info? Not looking for places to hunt...just general info like is it worthwhile? Which do you consider as a better adventure? Difficulty of access? If you buy a B tag can you hunt both archery AND rifle?

Caseyu

Aug 27, 2012
Reno, NV
I have not been yet! But plenty og my coworkers do every year. And i made it a point to not miss out again. They have a blast and it is fairly easy as backpacking goes. Plenty easy to get a way from people. And there are blacktail everywhere uploadfromtaptalk1366647126861.jpg
B ZOne 2012. a little homework and you can find a honey hole that will produce for a long time!!!

Last edited:

Caseyu

Aug 27, 2012
Reno, NV
I dont know either. But i am betting on marbles bit i will let you know what i decide. Best of luck buddy

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
I'm thinking about it I'm still trying to purchase gear ( starting work will help :) ) this year will be my first giving it a go backpacking so we'll see if work allows both of us or should I say mother nature

Caseyu

Aug 27, 2012
Reno, NV
I like your style!! Try and get a camp or two before season!! IF I get the chance i will def. Let you know and maybe we can tear up some mountain sides!!!

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
Do you want to hunt the Wilderness area, or around the lake. The Wilderness areas are a great place to hunt. I usually only run into backpackers, and have seen a few hunters miles away through my spotting scope. Spend some time looking at google earth and look for areas that put you between 3-8 miles back, depending on your fitness level. Most areas will give you 1000 ft of elevation gain over 1 mile. Good places to target are small lakes or water sources that have medows and and ridges. Two things I cant stress enough. Put your food up in the trees away from your camp, and buy a bear tag. Be paitient and get a good vantage point and glass. Dont go rolling through the medows, and other areas you would expect to find deer, unless you are stalking them. Make a few scouting trips to familiarize you self with the area, and dont forget you fishing pole on the scouting trips.

O ya, try to have two spots in different areas of the trinites. Usually the fires will smoke out areas North of Weaverville, and you will want to go to a different area. There is a big outfitter in the Coffie Creek area, so if you go there you will need to look for a more remote area.

Last edited: