Backpack Hunting Camera

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
I wonder if the perfect backpack hunting camera exists???

I've been using a Canon Powershot G9 for several years now, and it does a great job most of the time. However, I don't like the canon battery it takes and wish I could just use the Eneloop AA's I use for all my other gear. Also, it does not accept a remote shutter release and using the self timer to take hero shots when you're alone is a serious pain. The old G9 now has a minor scratch on the lens and either needs to be fixed by canon or replaced.

So, what is the best camera for backpack hunting? For me that camera would have to meet several criteria:

- Lightweight and compact (probably a point and shoot)
- Great photos - must take magazine quality pics
- Preferably takes AA batteries
- Accepts external flash
- Remote shutter release capable
- Good for digiscoping

You guys know of anything that offers all those features? If not, what are you using?

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
http://tinesupstore.com/shop/scopecam-point-and-shoot-kit-canon-110hs/

This is the setup I use, I have both adapters for the 65 ATS and 15x SLC's. This thing takes stunning pictures-16 megapixels worth and awesome high def video. It doesn't use AA's though, which to me is extra weight compared to a spare battery for this camera.(extremely lightweight) If your looking for just the camera I think you can pick it up for about a $100 bucks, my buddy bought the ring and threaded adapter for this setup and purchased his own camera to use and saved a bunch of money. Happy shopping!!

hardstalk

Veteran member
Sep 13, 2011
vegas
No external flash option to my knowledge. But nails the quality photo aspect. Ive had 2 sony rx100's (wife lost one) and its definitely one to research. I wanted a do all camera and couldn't be happier. From video of the kid playing in a puddle to digi scoping i love it.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I'll be tracking this thread! I am wondering what I am going to take to WY with me this fall. I have a few really nice (to me) compacts. They both take the batteries you are talking about RC, and I am looking at other options.

I do like that adapter set up Woodtick, thanks for sharing that! Same battery issue with that particular model of camera though.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
AA compatibility is going to be an issue. I would just get a few extra dedicated batteries.

The Sony RX100 seems to meet your list of expectations very well.

The upcoming Nikon P8000 should be as good or better.

You would have to get a little creative with these for digiscoping, but it has been done.

Another option would be a Nikon 1 series camera. They are small interchangeable lens mirrorless cameras with a good lens selection, and one fully waterproof rugged version: The AW1.

I have a Nikon V1 and altered the kit lens to work well for digiscoping, even with autofocus.

All of the cameras I have listed have 1" sensors which is between a normal tiny compact sensor and smaller that APS-C or Full Frame DSLR sensors. In my experience these sensor s provide MUCH better image quality than compact cameras and nearly the same image quality as larger DSLR sensors, although the DLSRs are still the king of consumer image quality, especially in low light.

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
Guys, sell me on the Sony RX100 II at around $550 vs. the Canon Powershot G15 at around $300.

They both take external flash, they both are remote capable, both take battery packs, both do HD video, etc. The Sony looks like it may have a bit better lens/sensor and is a higher res, but the G15 has a 1/1.7" sensor size, 12 MP, CMOS sensor, and will shoot RAW which I doubt I will ever use.

The Sony weighs 9.91 oz and the Canon weighs 12.42, but the $250 price difference is a lot to pay for 3 oz unless you're really upgrading the photo/video capability as well.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I read for days on the RX100 and really wanted to buy it. I just couldn't justify the price. Cnet gave it a really good review. I did not look into the G15, I wish I had now.

My wife wanted this camera because of its connectivity, and it got good reviews as well. Problem is, I just don't know much about them. Like what sensor, cmos ect....

Cannon PS SX280 HS

What can I do with this camera? Can I buy a spotting scope adapter for example?

CMWS to me = Common Missile Warning System (pronounced C-MOSS haha)

This little camera does take amazing pictures in my opinion. And will be fine what she wanted it for. Just don't know if its what I can use or not.

Thanks for any input!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
The RX100 will have noticeably better image quality, especially in low light (less noise and greater dynamic range). It will also offer shallower DOF (for those creamy blurred backgrounds) at max aperture because the RX100 has a much larger sensor. You can get an optional wired remote or use your android phone as a wireless remote.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Thanks for the input!! I'll be leary of that when I buy one for this trip. It looks like that's what I am going to have to do.

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
The RX100 will have noticeably better image quality, especially in low light (less noise and greater dynamic range). It will also offer shallower DOF (for those creamy blurred backgrounds) at max aperture because the RX100 has a much larger sensor. You can get an optional wired remote or use your android phone as a wireless remote.
That helps. I use an Iphone...will that run the RX100? If not then it's going to be tough for me to justify the extra $250 above the G15. I'm not a pro photographer after all. And if I was I'd probably suck up the weight gain and take a DSLR.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
Recently there was an article someone posted up on not using the cell phone as your hunt camera, mainly due to not being able to blow up the photo enough for print. ( Yes I understand the last two posts were about using one as a remote not the camera). My point is this...

What cameras do the Eastmans use on their hunts that also produce print quality images. I know some of them are not backpack type, but I am sure that some are.

Eastmans....or Eastmans camera guys... pipe up and tell us what camera you would prefer us use on these memory lane moments!!

packmule

Veteran member
Jun 21, 2011
TX
I have a bunch of friends who use the Canon SX50HS. They do pretty good jobs documenting trips.

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
Last summer I purchased a Sony Rx100 and have been very happy with the quality of pictures I've gotten with it. Both digiscoping and directly from the camera in all sorts of lighting situations. Here are some samples of pictures taken thru my Zeiss spotting scope.

Last edited: