Backpack Antelope

muskiemauler22

Feb 23, 2011
Mobridge, sd
Has anyone ever backpack hunted for antelope? and if so, what did you do for water? I have a back pack trip planned for this fall in antelope country where dang near everything is stock dams or maybe a very slow moving creek. I know the water might taste nasty but do i have to worry about mercury or anything?

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
I would take a purifier for sure. Most antelope country that I know of is also cattle and sheep country. The water is not safe to drink, gerardia comes to mind first. Katydyn is the brand I have been using. but I haven't really used it on more stagnant water like stock ponds. I would stick to the creeks where at least the water is moving, but still purify it. The creeks can be pretty seasonal, too, so that is something to look at, too. I haven't tried the iodine tablets or anything like that, if nothing else boil your drinking water and cooking water. Even in a desperate situation, skin some cactus before you drink the water.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
+1 on the above and always filter your water to be safe! How far do you plan on packing in and for how long? Most antelope country is fairly easy going and if its not real far in and not a real long hunt you might be better off just packing water in with you.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
That does sound pretty fun to hike out into the desert for a few days. Maybe get an antelope tenderloin over a campfire, play some harmonica to the coyotes. I can't stop thinking about food today. I don't know what my deal is.

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
I would consider very abbreviated backpack jaunts into the area and pack my water. You can be very effective by punching in beyond the day hikers and sleeping out only one or two nights at a time. This greatly simplifies the problems associated with camping out in dry country yet gives you a very definite advantage. Truly "coyote" out.

Success in trophy antelope hunting often is related to covering as much country and looking at as many animals as possible. Repeated short trips maximizes the possibility of finding what you're looking for!

NDHunter

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2011
North Dakota
Could you put all your stuff on a game cart and pull it all in on that? There's a spot I've got in mind to do what you're talking about and was also worried about water. I was thinking I could take a couple gallons of water and then strap on all my other crap onto a gamecart and pull it in.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
That might be a good idea. I think backpacks give you a little more mobility, but if the terrain isn't too bad the game cart would work. People moved west with everything they owned for hundreds if not a thousand miles on carts like that so carts can be a pretty good idea I think,

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Why that's quite a little antelope safari you're planning for. I agree, sounds like it'd be a lot of fun with a few friends to enjoy it with.
(and help pack out critters). Good luck and have a good hunt!

muskiemauler22

Feb 23, 2011
Mobridge, sd
If i really wanted to, i could just stay with my vehicle. However, the piece of property allows me to hike in 3 to 5 miles which isn't super far in all reality, but the goal of the trip is for the experience and will be a mule deer hunt also. It's part grassland/part badlands area, but should be a good time. Even if i don't harvest anything it'll let me know if I'm ready to drop several hundred bucks on tags in other states to do the same thing. Decides how serious I really am. Haha. I'll for sure use my filter, i was just curious to see what other people have done. The creek that runs through is year round except on really dry years. Thanks for the help everyone!

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Awesome...sounds like a fun hunt and I am also fretting over water availability where I will be hunting this year. Still getting some ideas on how to keep the weight down but I will say this...I have an MSR ceramic filter that threads right over the top of a wide mouth nalgene and I have filtered water out of some pretty nasty places. In fact, when I bought it, I was told that I could filter water out of an elk waller and be okay and I did. Never have gotten sick.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I think the live creek would be fine after its filtered. Stock ponds I guess would be ok too after you filter them but dont think they would taste very good. Even high country lakes dont taste very good compared to a spring or running water but sometimes you have to take what you can get when you are backpacking.