Backcountry or Base camp?

FatMallard

Sep 21, 2020
Lifelong hunter, but never been west! Like most midwesterners that grew up hunting, my dream has always been to call at an elk and have it bugle back, and come rippin' into bow range! I realize so many factors come into play to make that a reality. I've been reading and watching every video I can. A couple questions come to mind:
What do most people do? Backcountry multiple-day overnight trips with your camp on your back, or do you set up a base camp and do day hunts each day? Any tips on either?

Also, how do you know if you are calling at another hunter or a bull? Seems elk all sound a little different as do hunters. I appreciate the knowledge fellas!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It's all going to be up to what you want to do.

I have called in bulls to bow range while standing next to my truck.

As for knowing if it is a elk or a hunter, the elk if he in interested will come to you and will cover a lot more distance than a hunter could even think of doing in the same amount of time

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Lifelong hunter, but never been west! Like most midwesterners that grew up hunting, my dream has always been to call at an elk and have it bugle back, and come rippin' into bow range! I realize so many factors come into play to make that a reality. I've been reading and watching every video I can. A couple questions come to mind:
What do most people do? Backcountry multiple-day overnight trips with your camp on your back, or do you set up a base camp and do day hunts each day? Any tips on either?

Also, how do you know if you are calling at another hunter or a bull? Seems elk all sound a little different as do hunters. I appreciate the knowledge fellas!
The unit you draw as well as the terrain will dictate whether you want to work it as a basecamp or backcountry. Scout it if at all possible! Sometimes it is worth saving a couple more vacation days and scouting a couple of days before it opens.

Lots of good advice on this forum on both styles of hunting, check out the blog as well too. Lots of good information there.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
For me it really depends on the hunt. Are you in grizzly county? Is there a chance of snow? How do you plan to get an animal out if you kill one? HOw deep in do you plan on going? How Many days do you plan to hunt? What is your fitness level?

For me the Break even point is the 4ish mile range. If I will be hunting within 4 miles of my truck i find it more beneficial to have a truck camp and hike in in the dark. With a truck camp you can have all of the comforts that you want. In backcountry hunting Comfort has a price, weight in the pack. Another benefit of hunting from the truck is you can move locations without a large time And energy investment in getting to your hunting location.

Packing out an elk is a huge consideration. I have packed cows out in 2 loads and smaller bulls out in three loads, but a big bull is pretty hard to do in less than 4 loads. If you are in deep and have camp with you you will have to pack camp out as well. If you have guys or stock to help get you out you can go deeper.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Both.
Main camp wall tent on the edge of National Forest......then spike out from there if needed. Provides max flexibility to cover max ground. Some years we need it, others we dont and never spike out. Im a big fan of both.

Reactions: ScottR

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I agree with Slugz. Bring the provisions to do both and you will let the conditions that you find dictate what you do. On my recent WY deer hunt we had backpacked in and set up a base camp that most would call a spike camp. However, we were seeing plenty of deer right near camp and decided to not venture any higher for a few days and risk pushing those deer out of the area. I had spiked when I first hunted the spot 9 years ago and shot my biggest DIY buck to date. Unfortunately, 3 young and fit flatlanders moved in and wandered all over the mountain and we never saw another deer after that. Such is hunting public land.

Reactions: ScottR

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I also agree. Do both

we do this on every hunt so we can be mobile if need be but it’s sure nice to have a comfy base camp.

FatMallard

Sep 21, 2020
Excellent information fellas, thank you! I'm sure I'll have more questions, the deeper I get into this. Thanks!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
You can also use TagHub's 1-5 scale looking at your unit to see what kind of overall country it has. The smaller the number the easier it is to be 100% basecamp.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
*So you want to be a Elk Hunter they tell me!!" Comfort is over rated when Elk hunting the High Country!! Haaaa.... Just joking there Guys and Gals!! I used to base camp then spike out many years ago. Ummm Now days maybe a little older and maybe not wiser I prefer to pack in for a week at a time, regroup after the first week then go back in for another week. Or until I use my tag. I just find it less taxing packing in once then hunting from that camp instead of hiking in 2 hours every morning to that point and then hiking out late for 2 hours. That being said the down side to that is packing out that Elk which might be 2 miles further in from that camp.. I have packed out over 12 elk on my back or with one other person and I will tell you you are in for a treat when that day comes!! I say go for it have a great time just be prepared for what the High Country will throw at you.