Backcountry Mulies

nvarcher

Very Active Member
Sep 28, 2011
Reno, Nevada
Looking for an area to backpack for big mulies that is at least fairly easy to draw, and produces some good bucks in the Archery season. Don't have to give up your honey hole:p. just looking for a starting point!!!

Jul 24, 2011
Try the Wasatch. Great bucks up high during archery season, lots of hunters-but not many once you get back a few miles. The tag is very easy to draw and if you don't score early they have an extended season that runs into December.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I would say look into Southern Utah. With the draws the way they may play out this next year, it may be alot harder to draw a tag than in years past. It looks like now we will have to pick a unit for our archery tags. The reason to look to Southern Utah, is there are not many deer left in the northern regions, due to winter kill, over hunting and vehicle mortality. I hope this new unit thing they are doing will help the deer herds out.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
The Wasatch is a fun hunt... Just be prepared to deal with a lot of other hunters and it is thick... Not an easy spot and stalk hunt at all... Even if you find a good buck and pattern him for the opener, he will not be there the day after as there will be other hunters sitting on him come first light of opener... Sometimes easier to sit escape routes and wait for the bucks to get pushed around... The middle of the week makes it a touch better but the bucks are much tougher to hunt by then because they get pushed into the dark timber...

The La Sals and foothills around Beaver can be fun... The Pahvant is also a fun hunt...

stablebuck

Jan 8, 2012
The Wasatch Extended was a zoo this last year...there were double the hunters that there were last year and there were a lot last year!
For archery backcountry deer I would do a Uintahs hunt...early season...I would start in the western Uintahs...
In addition, the extended hinges on there being a substantial amount of snow...something that was absent this year...