Back from the hunt.

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
Another year in the books. The only difference being this year I had 2 tags. A buck tag and a cow elk tag. Got into camp on Thursday and got all set up. Decided to do a little deer scouting and hoping that maybe I'd see some elk while doing so. Hiked up on top of a high rim rock to get my spotting scope all set up and about half way through this process my buddy says "Hey, you have an elk tag, right?" Yep. "Well today is your lucky day" he says. About 500 yards away is a herd of elk feeding in our direction. I snuck back down the rim rock and Boom, elk tag punched. Did some more scouting the next afternoon and got into another herd of elk with one big bull, got some great pics with my phoneskope, and found a buck. Opening morning I went back to find the buck and couldn't find him. Glassed for a couple of hours and nothing. Decided to use the wind and come around to where I'd seen him the night before. Found him bedded in some thick sage/junipers and with a little whistle, he was up. Boom, deer tag punched. we hunted 4 days and none of the other guys got lucky. I guess it was my year. Now 2 weeks and we're off to New Mexico for another buck hunt.

If someone can tell me, in detail because I'm a slow learner, how to upload pictures, I will. I've got some great pictures of the bull and some of my buck.

pmcgovern

Feb 11, 2014
Oregon
Congrats on the animals. That looks like a really great cabin.
Thanks. Story goes(don't know if it's true or not) that it was part of the stage coach stop back in the 1800's. Originally had a stove and a bunk bed where the stage teams could get a hot meal and sleep on the route from Prineville to Burns. My uncle bought the ranch in the early 80's and we've done a little work to it over the years but the structure is still original.