Back Country Tents??

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
So I am thinking about getting a new back country tent, as I usually just sleep in my bivy bag. I am wondering what everyone out there uses. I am thinking of getting the Eureka Solitaire 3 season tent. It seems to me that it would fit the bill, and coming in at only 2lbs 9oz, I think that this setup would work good. What tents do you use? I know Eastman's just reviewed a lot of back country tents in EBJ 65, but I didn't see any that would apply to my pocketbook right now as the least expensive one was $215.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
We use Hilleberg Akto one man tents... Hilleberg is a top notch tentmaker IMO... There are many tentmakers out there, however, there are very few that will give you season after season of great performance at a reduced/inexpensive price... I had to replace a Sierra designs 1 man because of that alone (leaky seams and deteriorated adhesive where taped in the tub sils/ poor ventilation= condensation and a small vestibule) ... If I would have saved up and made the Hilleberg tent my first choice, I actually would have saved money... As it is, I had to spend money on the first tent to learn that it wasn't my best decision...

I have heard a lot of guy's also like the Copper Spur UL1 by Big Agnes too... It's got a pricey tag also... Good Luck!

Gochenour69

Mar 15, 2011
RE: Solitaire

I have and use the soitiare. Small, light much like a bivy only a little bigger. Small vestibule and little internal storage room so have back up for gear storage in the rain. All in all, I like mine and will keep using it and at roughly 70.00 the price is right. Its held up for 3 years me, have had no problems with the poles like others report, although I let it go together as it wants not as I want, forcing it cause I am late and in a rush....

I think you'll like it as long as you don't plan on it being similiar to a two man-Jeff.

Elk Hunter

Jan 22, 2012
Missouri
I agree with Graylight about the Hilleberg tents. I have the one person Soulo, a very well designed and built four season dome. You can set it up as a single wall or double wall tent, with or without floor. A tough four season in any configuration, and light weight compared to other 4 season tents I have carried. Being able to do a normal setup in the rain without getting water inside is nice.
Elk Hunting is just too much fun!.jpg

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I agree with Graylight about the Hilleberg tents. I have the one person Soulo, a very well designed and built four season dome. You can set it up as a single wall or double wall tent, with or without floor. A tough four season in any configuration, and light weight compared to other 4 season tents I have carried. Being able to do a normal setup in the rain without getting water inside is nice.
View attachment 2843
A little off what's being discussed rite now but that's a cool pic!

Wheels

Apr 15, 2011
Laramie, WY
I picked up the Alps Zephyr 2 for under $100 on sale, Its 4lb 12oz but it was really affordable. It might be heavier than you are looking for though. For my budget it was perfect.

http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/alps/products/tents/lightweight-tents/zephyr-2
I also grabbed this tent for a very resonable price and have been very happy with it. I have a full season in with it now both summer backpacking, and all season archery hunting. It's easy to setup and packs up nice too. The tent seems to be holding up well, and no complaints. I haven't had it any snow or harsh weather yet though so I guess that will be the test.

kleinpm

Get a hammock

I started using a camping hammock and haven't looked back since. I made my hammock, bugnet and tarp for around 90 bucks and it all weighs about 30 ounces. I use a pad in the hammock and stay toasty warm and wake up refreshed and ready for the day, with none of the aches and pains I had sleeping on the ground.

Patrick

I actually own a Eureka Solitare and I have one vital thing to say: do not buy this tent. My first trip with this tent turned into a hellish one-nighter. If there is anything more than a minor breeze, the thing just starts flapping like crazy. Add rain to the mix and it's all over. I literally used it on two scouting trips and laid it to rest in my closet.

I am happy to say that the experience with that led me to better things, namely my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. This sucker weighs less than the Solitare, has much more head room and room in general, and is worth the little bit more you spend on it. If you sniff either the UL2 or UL1 on ebay, you should find it in the $200-$250 range. Like anything else archery: you get what you pay for. It will be a great choice in the long run, trust me. Good luck!

beav906

Apr 18, 2011
Bend, OR
I've got the cabelas xpg tent. It's been great used it from early bow until December elk hunt on the wet coast for a week and never had any problems. Can't remember the weight. It's lighter. I looked into the alps zephyr and went with the xpg from all the reviews. Try Sierra trading post if you go with the alps they had great deals on them. If you join the internet club you'll get deals for additional discounts. Probably pick it up well under $100

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I also use a cabelas xpg tent, the only down fall to this tent is it very heavy compared to some of the others( I think) It weighs a little over 6 lbs. But I have stayed in that tent for 2 days in a complete whiteout, and never got wet. Works for me, but if you can swing the money I would look at something lighter. Good luck, and let us know what you go with.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
I use the REI Quarterdome 2. I like a little bit of room to move around, and to wait out storms. They make a 1 person tent that is at 3 lbs ish, and a 2 person that is about a pound more. I like these tents because they have 2 vents at the top, and condensation is never a problem. My buddy has the BA Fly Creek and loves his. I don't like front entrances, and his tent collects a lot of condensation. The REI tent you can get relitivly cheep by waiting for there 20% off coupon. Should be right around 220.00.

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
I currently use the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 and used the UL1 previously. Both tents rock. I went with the UL2, so I could move my pack and bow/rifle indoors with me if the weather turns. There are some good deals out there. Check out these for used tents. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=19&id=gTIC3or7:63.199.74.187
http://www.wearbap.com/home.php?cat=398

S&S archery has Big Agnes tents and Steve can help you out.
http://www.sandsarchery.com/

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
This is an old topic that never get's tired... We use the Hilleberg AKTO 1 man tent... The best I have used so far out of the Mountain Hardware and Sierra Designs tents we had used in the past... The Hilleberg is a 4 season tent that can be pitched with the inner and rainfly all at once (Convenient when raining) pitched without a footprint and has a huge vestibule, which is one of the biggest factors to me in a backcountry tent. It is made of the toughest no-rip material available and crazy lightweight for a 4 season tent at 2lbs. 10 oz. min. weight with 4 season capability at 3 lb. 8oz.... Good luck!