Baby girl joined the club today

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
My 12 year old daughter drew the youth hunt on a WMA not far from our house. This was her first turkey hunt and the hunt is only for 1 day. Didn?t hear a peep all morning until about 9:30 while we were setup on a food plot. After an hour and a half I decided we needed to make a move on them because they were staying put. After slipping into about 150yds of were I thought they were we setup and they quickly answered me. I just knew they would walk right down the hiking trail and of course they did exactly what turkeys always do, not what I thought. 5 minutes later I gave them another yelp and they almost blew our hats off at 30 yards to our left. We were stuck because she can?t just swing and shoot comfortably. They eventually seen us and spooked. One stopped and 45yds and I managed to get her situated but he walked behind a tree just as the gun went off. She cried, I wanted to cry, it was bad. I told her it had been an awesome hunt and not to get down. That just happens in the turkey woods. After we walked out and got some lunch I asked if she wanted to go back and she quickly said yes this is the only day we have. After checking out a couple different trails we ended up in the same food plot from that morning. It didn?t take long for 2 jakes to come running across the plot and smash my decoy. I was so afraid she was going to accidentally kill both of them. Shoot, no wait, shoot, no wait! Felt like that went on for 5 minutes as they spun around each other taking turns at my decoy now on the ground with a broken stake. Finally one separated and she crushed him!! She was
pumped and I am so proud of her for hunting hard and not giving up after a missed opportunity that morning. She is now ruined!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Congratulations to your daughter!
Thats a great story. Thanks for sharing.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Awesome story! Happy for you both; the experience of coming back up to it after a setback is not only real fair chase hunting, but priceless; for a new hunter to see how their perseverance and patience pay off! [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

ElkTrout

Veteran member
Feb 2, 2012
Parker, CO
What a great story and ending! Congrats to both of you! Her smile says it all!