Az winter Javelina hunt

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I've got a question for you guy's in Arizona about a javelina hunt. I 'd like to obtain a tag and shoot one next winter. What's the deal with a tag ? Can a non resident get a tag over the counter or is there a lottery draw or points. I don't think I need an outfitter but If I get a place to stay and shoot perhaps that's the best way. I'd like to find a big chunk of public land set up a camper and start glassing. Can you steer me in the right direction? Thanks

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It is all draw for javelina except for the Native American Lands where they can be purchased over the counter but might require that you hire a guide.

Are you planning on a archery, handgun, or rifle hunt? I have been going down for 25 years during the HAM season (handgun, archery, muzzle loader) which runs the first part of February. The archery only runs in January and the rifle only runs the latter part of February.

There is also lots of public ground that you can hunt and even land owners are easy to get along with as long as you don't tear things up.

To start with take a look at the 2018 Spring Turkey, Javelina, Bison, Bear and Raptor Capture Hunt Draw Information. Most will not change in 2019 and you need to apply in the fall of 2018. The tags are fairly liberal and not hard to draw with some even being left over for a left over draw. https://www.azgfd.com/Hunting/Regulations/

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Thanks for your quick reply. This would be rifle. Don't have a muzzleloader but that could change. I don't want to hire a guide for something as small as this but I will admit hunting with a good guide is the best way to learn. Course being a guide myself MIGHT make me feel that way. I'm mostly going to head out of winter in Maine and drift across the southern USA in a camper. Looks like a javelina hunt would be a fun week or so.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Jim P is spot on. Ive been hunting javelina on an annual basis for a few years now in AZ. PM me if you have any further ???

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Do you have a ATV to cruse around on or will it be all foot power?

The unit that I hunt has a lot of roads through it and places to park a camper but if you don't have other transportation it is all foot power after that.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Oh yeah its all foot power out there. No atv, Decided a snow machine would get more use in Maine. I do a lot of hiking, for deer and brook trout. Don't know about packing a pig out but they don't weigh much. Figure it out when it happens. I am also looking at Texas I would love to check out Big Bend. So much to see.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Ya, the area that I hunt you have to be a little bit mobile.

Last year we put 300 miles on our wheelers driving the washes looking for tracks and going into different hunting areas. You could park and hike but to get onto the better ridges you would have your work cut out for yourself.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
It is a draw, but has a lot of leftover options if a guy wants to go. I went last year for the first time. It was a blast and I met some great people. I'm headed back again in February. Good Luck!

wa-hunter

Apr 24, 2014
the left over list is available on az website now and can just be purchased if that is a route you want to go.

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
Get on a high spot and glass. Wear the bottom of your pants out versus the soles on your feet! Best way to hunt them.
This is great advice. I have hunted them 3 years with a bow. lots of glassing. THis is a case where 15x50 binos come in handy if you have them. I just used 10x42s and put them on a tripod. You'll be surprised how beneficial a tripod is. I've hunted north of Phoenix on leftover tags and have always killed a pig. Patience and glassing will make you successful. Especially if you find fresh sign of them first.

Last edited:

Rsnk61

Mar 6, 2012
Las Vegas NV
Drew an archery tag and will be heading down on the 30th. Really enjoy this hunt and like has been said get high and lots and lots of glassing. I have heard there are good numbers this year... Good luck to you all.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Instead of doing a lot of glassing at first we will drive the washes on our ATV's looking for tracks. Once we find some we will head over to the next wash in the direction that they were traveling and see if they crossed it. If not we will then get out and start hiking up to a glassing spot. This way we usually know that there are some in the general location and all we need to do then is to find them.

This has been working for 25 years now.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
I used to hunt them just north of my house on the Tonto National Forest. Killed a few with my bow years back. Glassed em up and stalked. Fun to hunt them. Good luck.

goinhuntn

Aug 4, 2012
Javelina bow hunt in January is one of my favorite hunts of the year!!! Javelina are fun little critters to chase with your bow.
The left over list is shrinking ,but there are still some left.

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
Thanks for everyone who replied. I guess I'll put in for a tag and see what happens. Or maybe I'll just grab an over the counter tag. Looks like a great way to extend the season. Best wishes from Maine to all of you in the new year.