AZ left over ??

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
If I am able to purchase a leftover AZ gun deer tag will I loose my preference points? From my understanding I will but will NOT loose them if I purchase a OTC archery tag.

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
Sorry, don't know the answer to your question. But I do think it would be a barrel of fun to do a deer/javelina combo hunt in January. I don't think I'll have enough vacation time this year, maybe January 2017..

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
No person, including Youth, may
submit more than one valid application per genus for the First Come
process, with the exception of javelina (see the javelina bag limit description).
A listing of leftover permits is available online at www.
azgfd.gov under “Big Game Draw” or at any Department office. To
submit first come applications by U.S. mail only, please send to: 5000
W. Carefree Highway, Phoenix, AZ 85086, ATTN: DRAW/FIRST COME.

According to above from the 2015-16 regs, I do not think you will lose your bonus points, so long it is not for the same unit/hunt code. In my mind, what make this confusing is Arizona's choice of language.

In AZ, you don't get preference points in the classical sense (e.g. Colorado). What you get instead is a bonus point which I believe is akin to buying an extra raffle ticket to increase your odds of winning a prize (or a hunting permit in our case).

Since in AZ, you can purchase a bonus point (no refund), it is YOURS and your ability to keep those bonus points should be independent of your other applications. In other words, you should still be able to purchase and bank your bonus points and still draw a left over permit so long as your bonus points are under a different hunt code that what you wish to draw a leftover (first come) tag for.

For example, I purchased a bonus point for an archery spring javelina hunt in unit 21 last year. I have banked one bonus point for that unit and now lets say I want to apply for a leftover archery javelina tag in unit 22 and get it. It is hard for me to imagine AZGF taking away the bonus point i purchased for unit 21. They would essentially be doubling their money because you still have to pay for your leftover tag and you would have to purchase new bonus points. If that is the case, its a scam and should be changed.

This is my understanding but I could be wrong. A call to AZ fish & game should settle it and if you find out for sure, please share as I think you have happened upon a really good question here.

Whatever you decide, know that only one deer is allowed per year so if you tag out during the fall rifle season, your OTC archery tag is not longer valid for the December OTC archery hunt. Likewise, if you were to come and out and tag a deer during the August OTC archery season, your gun tag for fall is no longer valid.

This would all be so much easier if AZ just sold leftover tags OTC like other states.

UB-AZ

Dec 17, 2013
AZ
Okay... I'll try to best answer what I think is being asked... and it pains me because this is actually a little understood advantage....

First question... "If I am able to purchase a leftover AZ gun deer tag will I loose my preference points?" Answer: No, you will NOT loose your bonus/prefernce point. As an example. If you put in for the 2015 Fall Deer rifle hunt, say unit 13B and you don't get drawn. You will get a bonus point for not drawing. Now you can review the left over tags and put in for what is open. Say a 36A mule deer hunt or a 34B whitetail hunt. If you get drawn for one of these hunts...you will NOT loose the bonus point you just got from the regular draw.

Second statement/question... "From my understanding I will but will NOT loose them if I purchase a OTC archery tag." Answer/Explanation: No, you will NOT loose your bonus points even if you buy an OTC archery tag for the Aug/Dec 2015 hunt. Again same example. If you put in for 13B Fall rifle and did not get drawn you will recieve a bonus point. Then if you want to purchase an OTC Archery deer tag and use it in Aug or Dec of 2015 you still keep the bonus point from the draw.

Bonus points are independent of any unit. Meaning a bonus point is not specified by unit.

Now here is a fun example that has happened to me. I put in for 36A Whitetail early hunt (Oct)... didn't get drawn. Yet there were leftover tags... So I put in for a leftover tag and got drawn. Recieved my bonus point for the miss-draw in the regular hunt and still got to go hunting where and when I originally wanted.

Hope this helps.... Good luck in all the hunts!!!

UB-AZ

Dec 17, 2013
AZ
Sorry for the BOLD... sometimes when reading posts it is difficult to distinguish what is really being asked. I have to read something two or three times.

Bad spelling as well...yikes....

UB-AZ

Dec 17, 2013
AZ
LCH,
If you decide to do the archery Deer/Javelina hunt in January at anytime PM me. Only because there are some real good units to do this and there are some not so good units. And when I say good units I mean having a real opportunity to tag out on both species.

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
Bonus points are independent of any unit. Meaning a bonus point is not specified by unit.
Okay, so yeah, your bonus points are bought and paid for; the only reason you would burn them is in the regular draw. I can see the advantage now.

Otherwise, AZGF would be double dipping in the permit fees, correct?

LCH

Very Active Member
Jun 28, 2015
Southern Indiana
LCH,
If you decide to do the archery Deer/Javelina hunt in January at anytime PM me. Only because there are some real good units to do this and there are some not so good units. And when I say good units I mean having a real opportunity to tag out on both species.
Appreciate the offer! I might this January, if I work enough OT between now and then. Otherwise, it'll probably be 2017.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Thank you guys! I tried to decipher the AZ language but came up empty handed, actually had someone tell me that I would loose my point but they couldn't explain why so I moved on.

I will be contacting AZ when everything is said and done to hear "from the horses mouth" and ask them a few other questions as well.

Not drawing my WY tags has me scrambling to figure something out because plans A-D have fallen through so far, haha!

UB-AZ

Dec 17, 2013
AZ
Micropterus79,
Not sure about the double dipping.... haven't really thought about it to be honest... Working the bonus points can be tricky, but it can also pay off if you follow the trends.

AT Hiker,
Tell me about plans A-D.... The wife and I didn't get AZ Elk, nor did we get NM, CO, WY anything!!!! The WY is the one that upsets me the most... we should have had a slam dunk for a Antelope buck tag....4 bonus points going into this year and the units we applied for only took 3 for 100% draw last year.... WY is frustrating me.... :)

If anyone can explain how to get drawn for NM I am more than willing to listen. Been 5+ years there and nothing and I am putting in for 30% or better draw odd units.