Area 111/112 Cow Hunt – Do cows exist here?

magnum12

May 31, 2011
Hey guys, I have kind of hit a brick wall here and was hoping someone out here would be able to give me a tip or pointers on how to find a cow. So I drew this tag and spent a lot of time researching, talking to the biologist, and so on but due to family commitments I could not get out early to scout. What I did do was take off two days before the season to get in as much scouting as possible in 111 and was able to turn up some small herds. Needless to say through the 4 days I hunted, I had no problems finding bulls but never a cow, unless it was right at dark.

What I was thinking was to go back for the last few days of the season to see if I could find one but wondering with all the deer hunters running around, would it really be worth the 7 hour drive. It seems like when I was there prior to the opener of deer season, the bulls were out feeding at first light and once the sun hit them, they retreated back into the timber until that following night but wonder now if all the elk will be completely nocturnal.
If anyone has any suggestions/tips could you shoot me a PM? I will be more than happy to respond in PM with the areas I did hunt in.

If you respond over the weekend, I will get back to you Sunday night as I am heading out to go deer hunting here at home for the weekend.

Thanks for your help
Greg

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Yea, I would avoid the west side. It seems like everybody goes to the Succes loop. I would try the Cleve creek side. There is a good road that goes over the mountain at Kalamazoo creek and another one a little further north that goes over Shellbourne pass, it's a good road too.
Let us know how you do.

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
By far the best way to hunt the east side is to stay on the pavement and glass all the drainages at prime time. You'll find elk for sure and once you do you can make a plan. Vehicle access is very limited on the east side due to the wilderness but there are plenty of elk. Don't forget the pack frame........your gonna need it, good luck !!!!

magnum12

May 31, 2011
Gr8 - I did take the road over Kalamazoo and agree, it was in good shape but a little rocky in some spots. I did not go up to Shellbourne, roughly how much further is it up?

packer58

Very Active Member
Aug 24, 2011
Loma Rica, Ca.
Magnum, not sure if the elk come down that far with the mild weather this fall. They have everything they need on the mountain.

magnum12

May 31, 2011
That sure is the truth! When I was there for the opener, everything was up high. This is kind of a tough call because the weather is looking to nice for the weekend. Highs in the upper 60's.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Ya if this the weather bring your pack frame for sure. I hope they will be lower in Dec. I don't plan on packing out a cow very far.

magnum12

May 31, 2011
I have the pack all set to go! Funny was my second to last day I was way up on the west side because I saw elk way up high and as I was walking up, all I could think about was "Man this is going to be a long rough pack out". Kinda thankful they were all bulls. haha.

Well if I can get the time off of work, I will be heading back up early Friday am and hunting Sat - Mon.

NVdeerslayer

Jul 24, 2014
Nevada
A friend of mine also has a late bull tag for those units I will be helping her out and will also keep you posted. Anybody heard from any early buck hunters from unit 10?

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
The road over shellbourne is about 12-15 miles north from Kalamzoo. If you stay on the paved road it comes out back on US93 north
of Lages junction.