Archery hunting units with general and draw tags?

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
I was reading through the regs. and was a little confused on the archery season for tags in areas that have a general season as well as a special draw tag. It says in the regs.

"Archers with a general elk license may only hunt in those hunt areas open to general license hunting as specified in Section 2 an may take any elk."

Take unit 56 for example, it has a general season from Oct. 1 to Oct. 14 and a special draw tag Dec.1 to Dec. 20, but it also has a type 9 tag listed. Does this mean it is not a general archery tag. I looked into the draw result and it shows several residents putting in for the type 9 tag.

Does any one know any addition info? I appreciate it.

Kodiak

Oct 27, 2014
Thanks I read through that one already, but in hunts that have a general season as well as both type 1 and 9 hunts such as unit 56 the type 9 tag opens sept.1 to the 30th and it is listed in the general archery season as opening sept. 1. to the 30th. If it is a general area, why would they have a type 9 tag for it that residents put in for?

Last edited:

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
To give archers another avenue in the draw for odds purposes. The type 9 is limited to that unit and may provide better draw odds vs a GEN tag. For 2015 a regular 56-9 was 100% at 0 points, a regular gen was not.

huntabsarokee

Feb 27, 2012
Northeast PA
I believe the areas with type 9 tags and are also a general unit typically allow type 9 to archery hunt the entire archery season but if you go the route using a general tag and buying the required archery stamp you can not hunt until later in the season (Sept 15).

For a non resident and going only 1 week and can't go back for rifle this may not be a big deal using a type 9. If you are a resident, and a general tag is basically over the counter, going with the general lets you archery hunt for a few weeks if you choose to and to go back and rifle hunt with the general tag.

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
That makes sense. Is either general or the type 9 is valid?
For the unit you are asking about, yes. Provided you buy the archery license if going GEN. Sept 1-30 for either (unless they change the GEN archery dates). A call to that units BIO should confirm what he plans to submit for final dates.