Apprentice hunt

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I got my daughter in for the J3 draw for the first time. Her brother says she should be able to draw the tag pretty easy so we will see what happens.

Anyone hunt the J3 unit before?

What can be expected as far as bucks, and pressure?

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
I never hunted it before. The late season dates look good though. I have a younger sister entered for J18 either sex, so we'll see if she draws, she has 1 point.

Firearrow

Mar 1, 2011
CA
First make sure you use nonleaded bullets. Our F&G Wardens have small man complexes big time and will cut no no slack. As for the hunt, the dates are good but that hunt is dependent on weather getting the deer moving. My buddy hunted that hunt “once” with his kid a hand full of years back. They didn’t see a deer for the first few days, and then found a forkie on the third day and shot him. From what he told me the deer are not partial to specific areas and follow no patterns. He said the key is to keep moving, and glass or cover as much ground as possible. Don’t be to picky unless your willing to eat the tag.

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
Agree with fire arrow that's pretty much my backyard I've seen good bucks pulled out of there on this hunt can be weather dependent covering a lot of ground can be helpful but there is always certain areas that hold deer. Let me know if she draws. Best of luck!

P.s feel free to pm me if she draws I'll try to help

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Agree with fire arrow that's pretty much my backyard I've seen good bucks pulled out of there on this hunt can be weather dependent covering a lot of ground can be helpful but there is always certain areas that hold deer. Let me know if she draws. Best of luck!

P.s feel free to pm me if she draws I'll try to help
I appreciate that. If she draws I’ll PM you.

Jrod

Jan 30, 2012
Livermore, CA
I am applying for G1 this year first choice. Only have one point with a party of 4, so we are optimistic.
Being that time of year there will be deer there. Regardless of weather they will, for the most part, have migrated down in there. I like the southern half of the refuge. it is really fun area to glass and hunt. Gonna need 4 wheel drive, but a side by side or quads would be better. The creek crossings are dangerous if it has rained, and there are a couple. There can be some great bucks in there but with a season that is only a matter of hours I would not get to crazy looking for a giant. I would give an ear width+ forked horn the business
Some big bears in there too. if you guys set aside extra time you could run into a good bear, outside the refuge We have seen some slobs in the mill creek canyon before.

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
I took my grandson there back in '05 and it was a fun hunt. We saw 20 or more bucks in the two days we were there. He got some shooting at two different 4X4's but did not connect. Wish he had shot more beforehand. The biggest one was a good heavy, tall, 24 incher. I'm not sure how much has changed but we really had a good time he got to see some bucks. The weather was dry and the bucks were in the rut and hanging out with the does. Take your side by side. Some of the roads are pretty rough.

PM if you get drawn and I can give you more information. Good luck in the draw!