Anyone Else Had Cataract Surgery?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I had mine on Wednesday and it was unbelievably successful! Surgery took 20 minutes and I left being able to see great again. No pain or problems. Today I was out side (with good sunglasses) and could see details and colors like I was a kid again. No correction needed from the contacts that I have worn for years. Going to be a great deer and elk season for sure.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had my first cataract surgery clear back in 2009, at that time they would only remove the cataract when it was large enough or what they called "ripe". I told them right then that if they would do the second eye that I would pay for it myself, I liked it that much. Then fast forward to 2016 and my optometrist told me that they were now just doing it, that is as long as you had a cataract. I was signed up within a week to get it done.

Now after another 5 years I have zero problems with distance vision but when it comes to reading I'll likely pull out some reading glasses. It still bugs me when I am doing something and have to get close to what I am doing and I have to go find my glasses so that I can see what I am doing. They do have bifocal replacement lenses that I could of gotten but I never did hear much good from the reviews that I read about them.

But like you said 20 or so minutes of surgery and you are kicked out of the door for the ride home. I was seeing good enough that I think that I could of driven myself home but I was glad that there was someone with me to do the driving. The next day on the follow up we went to lunch afterwards and my brother in law looked at my one eye and told me that it was as big as a saucer, it was still that dilated.

Reactions: Johnbud

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I had mine on Wednesday and it was unbelievably successful! Surgery took 20 minutes and I left being able to see great again. No pain or problems. Today I was out side (with good sunglasses) and could see details and colors like I was a kid again. No correction needed from the contacts that I have worn for years. Going to be a great deer and elk season for sure.
no but I once worked on a rincoln!!

that's awesome !!!!!!!!!!! I have been contemplating doing the same.

what did it cost you ? if you don't mind me asking.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For my first one my cost was around $400 + what insurance paid and I have no idea of what they paid. The second one was $800 + insurance.

So a lot will depend on your insurance and Medicare if you are on it.

Reactions: kidoggy

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Had both of my eyes done a year apart and like you said its amazing. Im a wimp when it comes to my eyes and when I went in to have the first one done I was so nervous. This was quickly gone as it was a piece of cake and I feel its easier than going to the dentist!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Just got back from DMV and took the eye test. Corrective lenses requirement now gone....taken off my DL. No restrictions whatsoever.
be curious to see if you can still shoot straight . I say this only because the last time I got new glasses it took me awhile to get used to the new prescription