Anybody know?

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I've been searching high and low and deep in the darkest parts of the internet trying to find a map that shows the mule deer density for Wyoming. Preferably, deer per square mile. I checked the game and fish website too, I didn't find one there either. Anyone know where one might find this map?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I suspect it's pretty hard to do accurately as they migrate. Certain times of the year there will be lots of them and at other times may not be any at all. They do have census numbers for a particular unit, but that doesn't mean they are evenly distributed.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
You make a good point about the migration/density issue. I appreciate the heads up on that. Guess ill look up the census numbers.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Considering that the game warden and the wildlife biologist asked us how many deer we were seeing g I would guess that often times they do not know.

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
Well damn, I guess i probably wont find one. Hopefully the census will be a little more accurate than just asking hunters how many they saw.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I know of areas that will hold a few hundred deer depending on the time of year. Then at other times you would be lucky to find a dozen.

I have also seen it that way during the hunting season. A warm dry fall and there are no deer in the area but a wet cooler fall and you will see more than you can count.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
You might find some info on migration routes, etc.. from studies done at University of Wyoming. They have grad students doing various studies for projects. Not sure where to look online but G&F has a co-op with the University.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Had a brain fart earlier, at the seasoning setting meetings G&F had population numbers and objective numbers for each herd. They held the meetings by region and presented the numbers for that region. I don't know if the Cheyenne office has all of the population estimates and objectives or if you would have to contact the biologist in each region. The numbers are not broken down by individual hunting area. They also gave us buck/doe ratios per herd and fawn/doe ratios.