Anybody kill an Oregon antelope yet?

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
I only know of one person that drew a tag. Took him 19 years to ddraw, he did kill a nice one but man 19 years! I quit applying after I drew four years ago, it took me 15 years and it wasn't worth the wait for me. As stacked up as the points system is I was looking at well over 20 years to draw again.

EOHunter

Jan 26, 2016
Eastern Oregon
I ran into one group that had killed a pretty good one on opening day. They told me ODFW had called and sent letters asking them to turn their tag back in. The gal had drawn on the 25% random pool so she kept hers, however they stated they would have turned it back in if they knew for sure they had the points to draw the following year. Another guy I talked to ended up turning his back in knowing he could draw next year.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
When will the point accumulation stop? Are the Antelope numbers in bad shape? 16yrs ago all you needed was 7-11 points to draw.
It won't, 4-5 years ago I added up how many points were in the pool and divided by how many tag were available. At that time if no additional applications were accepted and tag numbers stayed the same it would take 14 years to flush the system. ODWF has zero intention on changing the system. So anyone starting at zero is looking at over twenty years before drawing on points.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I have 13 antelope and 15 elk points and don't expect to draw much for quite a while in Oregon.

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
ya its very frustrating. I hate how they add a point each year as well. so last year might be 16 points for 100% and the next year you would need 17 points. I've been doing a point saver last several years, i think next year i will actually try though.

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
I was able to shoot this guy in the North Wagontire unit, not a big guy but a fun hunt!!!! Pretty disappointed in the amount and size of the goats we saw scouting the five days before the opener. Too bad it takes so many years to do it in Oregon! I will draw Wyoming in two/three years and be in a unit five times better than the unit in my home state after 15 years!DSC01221.jpg

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
Sorry, I guess I don't have downloading photos down yet! I will figure it out before posting and mountain goat pics from my daughters hunt next weekend!!

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Wild Country, I had the same unit when I drew a couple years ago. I was disappointed in the lack of antelope. I hunted seven solid day and only saw two average sized bucks. I ended on day seven with one of them. Nice job on a tough hunt

Wild Country

Jan 29, 2012
OR
Wild Country, I had the same unit when I drew a couple years ago. I was disappointed in the lack of antelope. I hunted seven solid day and only saw two average sized bucks. I ended on day seven with one of them. Nice job on a tough hunt
This guy was the biggest I could find in the five days prior to the opener and with the expected eclipse traffic I wasn't going to push my luck and got out of there the Monday after the opener.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
I am probably going to draw a tag next year and am hoping that it is a good hunt but your guys outlook sounds like what I keep hearing about Oregon antelope units. 17 points was hoping for better chances. I guess we will see.