Any tips or tricks to replacing stuck blades in an outdoor edge knife?

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I use kroil oil or a good penetrating oil and then wash extremely well with dish soap. If you let that oil set for a while there's no issues. Im sure its not food grade stuff so use your own judgment . Again i wash extremely well after. Sometimes i hit the grove with the air compressor

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
As you guys can imagine, we use ours here pretty regularly. I dare say that most of you here probably have an Eastmans' logo on those knives...

Mine aways get a good rinse in hot water to deal with the fat and then straight to the diswaser. If the blades are grimed in fairly well then it I use a pliers or leatherman type of tool to get it out.
Same here, I rinse it enough to get off any big chunks then put it in the dishwasher - pretty much what I do to all my knives that don’t have wood handles. I’ve carried the same leather man everyday (unless I have to fly) for over 20 years, same thing, when it gets grungy I just through it in with the dishes.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
That outdoor edge blade slot is super narrow. If you still have trouble with it, I've had good luck with using an old blade deliberately snapped in two. We'd do the same thing rebuilding engines: an old broken ring makes the best scraper for a ring groove.

You can also put the knife in a shallow cup and spray some oven cleaner into the slot. Use the kind with lye in it. That'll break down anything.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I have the Outdoor edge and the Gerber big game replaceable blade knives. I always clean them after use and never let them get grungy to begin with. I prefer the Gerber, the blades seem sharper and it's a bigger knife. Fits the hand well and doesn't slip when wet. At season's end I clean them thoroughly, dry and lubricate before storing until next year.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The big thing is not to let the knife get covered with blood and fat. At least wipe it down after you use it and if you have water available a quick wipe down with a wet rag will help a lot.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy