Any d8 hunting tips or suggestions? [ im new to this forum]

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
Hello
Im heading out hunting in D8 tomorrow its gonna be the first time i hunt there nd i was wondering if anybody had any tips or suggestions where i should look or what highway would be best to take in

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Depends one how high you want to hunt. I was out there last week, started out around 8600'-9300' and saw lots of signs of them having been there very recently (couple of days) and I'm sure some were still hanging around. It was pretty dry and looked like most anything edible had been eaten.

Down lower, around Lower Peppermint camp, there was still lots of food and I saw a fresh buck track.

Seems like most of them headed for lower elevations or maybe just away from the roads and trails.

They will bed in/around any meadows and then move out from there during the day.

As far as access, you can come in from the west on 155, 178 or Mountain Hwy 99 or from the east on 178 or Kennedy Meadows Rd and that will get you to the roads that access most of the area. Most of stuff around Lake Isabella and everything along the west side is private land.

Good luck.

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
Thanks for the information i appreciate it.
Would the 190 be a good highway to get it on ?
I plan on driving in and setting up camp by the truck.
How did your hunt go? Any luck?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Hey frank, welcome to the forum. Are you in good shape? I have some great areas for big bucks in D8, but your gonna have to hike in deep for them and pack what ever you get out.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Frank, 190 should be fine coming in...You can hunt around the area where the highway comes in or if you continue south to Johnsondale, you can either head back north parallel to the river (the road runs parallel to hwy 190 but it's a couple thousand feet lower in elevation), you can head south towards the Greenback Mountains or east towards Sherman Pass and Kennedy Meadows.

I saw a bunch of recent beds, a bunch of deer scat and tracks, 6 does and one fresh buck track. So, they were around, but the bucks are staying away from the roads and making themselves hard to find.

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
Im already on my way back home i didnt see anything -_- aha
How far is the hike to those places?
U hunt there alot?
This was the first time ive ever been there.

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
Oh and JMSZ thanks for the info man i couldn't use it because i had already lost signal but if i go back ill definitely check it out. A ranger told me theres another season in December have u guys been there during that time of the year?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Oh and JMSZ thanks for the info man i couldn't use it because i had already lost signal but if i go back ill definitely check it out. A ranger told me theres another season in December have u guys been there during that time of the year?
Yea that is the G6 Hunt Zone which is the season I put in for every year. Its a awesome hunt.

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
Have u gotten some good buck there in d8?
And ima try to go back for that hunt would u suggest packing in for that hunt also?
Thanks for the info bigshot.

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
Ohh bigshot u said i would have to hike in not pack in right? Sorry i misunderstood that. How far in would i have to hike in?
And how good in shape would i have to be?

bigshot

Very Active Member
Apr 14, 2011
Crestline, CA.
Its about two miles down hill from the road, so what ever u kill your better off boning or quartering out the meat and packing it out. You'll kill your self dragging out a buck up hill. So you need to be in excellent shape.

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
Its about two miles down hill from the road, so what ever u kill your better off boning or quartering out the meat and packing it out. You'll kill your self dragging out a buck up hill. So you need to be in excellent shape.
2 miles sounds tough but i think i could make it. But yeah if u could tell me where thats at it would be great.
So for the g6 hunt can i go get the tags now or how does it work for that hunt?

BOHNTR

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
Lakeside, AZ
G6 tags are issued through the drawing only......you must put in for the hunt and pray you are drawn. Early summer of 2013 is your next chance to put in.

FRANK_I_AM

Oct 16, 2012
G6 tags are issued through the drawing only......you must put in for the hunt and pray you are drawn. Early summer of 2013 is your next chance to put in.
Damnn so theres no way i can go this year huh
Thanks for the info BOHNTR
I guess ill just have to wait for next year.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Mtn. lions are built to drag, not humans... :)