Antelope Unit 80

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Applied in this unit with a buddy who knows it. We did not draw and he has since moved and won't be available to hunt. I just got an email from P&W that one was turned in and I am next in line. No time to really scout since I made other plans and wondering if its worth the risk. Anyone with insight on this unit they would be willing to share?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have scouted 80 & 81. I drew an 81 tag in 2016 with 15 points. Shot a nice buck. I think 81 is a better unit, but it takes a lot of points. In 2016 there was only 25 tags and I never saw another hunter. How many points do you have?

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Thanks for the quick response CC. I have 10 points and it looks like they gave out 10 tags. I am wondering mostly about public access to where the goats are. I see a lot of land heading up toward the foothills but wondering if the goats venture up that far or do they keep low near Alamosa and Monte Vista.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I scouted mostly 81, which has the same number of tag....10. The reason there are so few tags is that there are not very many goats there. I opted for 81 after I scouted several years. Most will be around the the farm land. I actually found that most of the animals were up really high in 81. I camped at 9ooo" My advice would be to pass if you havn't actually scouted it. If you want to put in for 81 in the future, I'll help as much as I can.

Reactions: Colorado T

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I hunted 82 last year with a friend, who got his antelope.
Nice area with quite a few antelope, but also quite a bit of private land.
I know it's not unit 80, but it's close by. Just thought you might want to know.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
Thanks Winchester. I decided to pass on it with not enough time to scout and not being able to hunt opening day. I have thought about unit 82 in the past and passed because of the private land. I would like to get down there and scout some before pulling the trigger in the future.