Animals in Packs!

Arrowslinger

Feb 27, 2011
NorCal
Question....any problems with insects? Years ago I used to pack a whole deer on my back (gutted of course) and in certain areas had problems with ticks & fleas, especially in areas where there were livestock. I surely wouldn't pack out a pig, the ones I've killed in texas were full of ticks and fleas. I would throw away the hide as soon as I had dressed it that's for sure.

Just sayin..............
Most of my hunting here in California is when it's 80+ during the day...fleas and ticks are always covering the animal, but they tend to stay with their host till the bitter end. Never had an issue.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
A worse photo for you Scott , a full size mule deer boned out with camp on a solo backcountry hunt. Turns out 3 steps is all I made before rolling farther down hill. It took two solo trips. Headed for trailhead around 7:45 and made it back at 2 in the am. Second trip wasn't as bad I should have made it 2 even loads. .

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Most of my hunting here in California is when it's 80+ during the day...fleas and ticks are always covering the animal, but they tend to stay with their host till the bitter end. Never had an issue.
One time I was packing out a small coastal buck that my Dad had shot north of Ventura. Hot as hell and I had a row of flea bite around my belt. The deer was covered with them and as it cooled down they started to bail out on the next nearest host...me! Glad it now a distant memory.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1JX3P0Sx58, this was kindof cool. I've never seen it done this way. I am not so fond of the fleas and ticks or blood with the EHD, chronic wasting,etc. I am not sure how all that affects humans, but I don't want to be patient zero either.
Yep, that's the way my Dad taught me to do it. Probably packed my first one like that around 1955 or so when I was 14. From then on as I was the young buck, I got the "honor" of packing all the deer my Dad & Grandfather shot. If it wasn't so messy, it's not too bad. To keep the deer up high, all you have to do is push down on the hind legs as you are walking. I also started sewing the gutted body cavity up as it kept lots of the blood off, but never quite figured how to keep the fleas, ticks and lice off. Also added a big, red bandana to the horns.

Reactions: Winchester

BigSurArcher

Very Active Member
Mar 3, 2011
N. CA
That's how I've carried out most of my Blacktails. Yeah fleas get on you, but it's not that big a deal. What's worse is washing all the crusty dry blood out of your butt when you finally get home. Be sure to drain the cavity as good as possible before putting it on your back.

Last edited:

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
2013 Idaho

The first one in the new pack. It was about 110#. I was closer to base camp than spike camp, so I went back later to get camp out.

Againstthewind

Very Active Member
Mar 25, 2014
Upton, WY
that video was cool, im so gonna try that this fall, the heli one:cool: how freaking nice wouold that be
That would be very nice. Drop them right in the bed of your truck and go. I might have to try the backpack deal this year on a antegoat or deer. I suppose you have to actually shoot them first. That hasn't been my strong suit.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
That would be very nice. Drop them right in the bed of your truck and go. I might have to try the backpack deal this year on a antegoat or deer. I suppose you have to actually shoot them first. That hasn't been my strong suit.
Like I mentioned, carry some heavy thread (I used Dacron fishing line) and a big bent needle and sew the bugger back together. Keeps lots of the blood off of you.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Cool Pack Pic Idea! Here's a few more.100_1023.jpgNV Mule Deer082501_1046[01].jpgMy Daughters youth Antelope (whole across a swampMontana-Utah 2012 064.jpg My brothers UT bull all but one quarter loaded and ready to go!Montana-Utah 2012 071.jpg

Last edited: