An explanation of residents frustration

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado

An interesting article that brings a lot of resident frustrations to light.

Reactions: JimP

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I get the frustration residents must feel. As someone who can hunt and legally kill as many deer as I want I can't imagine not being able to hunt my own state for years. Sounds like you Colorado boy's need to take a look at the playbook the Wyoming residents are using to restrict non-resident tag allocation.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
residents will whine either way,( it is the nature of humans to do so) but they will always pay what they must as long as they can.

my thoughts are what happens in colo stays in colo. they got nuthin I need!
that is the great thing about this nation, if you don't like what one state does , work to change it or move to another.

besides with the coming of the wolves hunting colo will soon be irrelevant anyhow. enjoy while you can.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Interesting article and I agree with some of the points. However there are many fallacies written within this as well. I agree as a state resident you should get preferential treatment but the author really stretches the truth and exaggerates on a few of his examples.
nonetheless good read and thanks for sharing.

Reactions: mallardsx2

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Interesting article and I agree with some of the points. However there are many fallacies written within this as well. I agree as a state resident you should get preferential treatment but the author really stretches the truth and exaggerates on a few of his examples.
nonetheless good read and thanks for sharing.
Which parts do you thing this happened?

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
There is a current group of Colorado residents who volunteered to participate in a roundtable to discuss changes to the big game hunting rules as far as tag selection, preference points and many other points that may or may not be up for change shortly. I applied to be part of the group, but was not selected.

I read a lot of the things that are up for discussion and the one that jumped out at me was the proposal that preference points would be used for 2nd, 3rd and 4th point drawing selections. This will really hurt some of us. A lot of times I apply for a point for 1st choice and a unit I can usually draw as a 2nd or even 3rd choice. Of course these 2nd or 3rd choices are in units that normally don't draw out for various reasons (not a lot of public land, low animal numbers, etc), but at least if I draw I can hunt. I have a few elk & deer units that fall into this definition and occasionally I get lucky and fill the tag. If this happens, I surely will lose some hunting opportunities that I now enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: ithunter

alaska2go

Oct 20, 2012
Canon City, CO
I agree w/ the article. As a non resident and now a resident there is a difference in tag allocation. I could draw a elk tag every other year in a specific unit as a non resident. As a resident it takes 3-4 points to draw the tag ! We need to have a state constitutional right as residents to the wildlife like it is in Alaska. But, that will never happen here. In Alaska I could hunt & fish for $58 as a resident. That included moose, caribou, sheep, black bear, grizzly( in most units) sitka deer , wolf, all the small game etc. Hell it costs $56 for a elk tag here. The CPW rake in a $h!t ton of money w/ all the crap that goes w/ a license but has 18% of land mass of Alaska. I think it is a effin joke what they do to their residents that hunt. I'm done ranting !

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Interesting viewpoints.

This appears to me to be another "Bite the hand that feeds you" situation.

The only thing I can say is that a NR Tag costs 12x more than a R's tag and NR's foot the bill for the VAST majority of the CPW’s wasteful spending and have been for decades...

Well, that and for the record I think the author is a sniveling bitch who is blowing several things out of proportion and has lost sight of the big picture of where funding truly comes from.

Last edited:

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
I do agree that the article has a whining tone to it and could have been a bit shorter. He lost me after the 2nd or 3rd mention of 35% cause the state didnt change stuff.

the entitlement attitude is rich on both sides. It is getting old.

we are watching the initial throes in the death of hunting. Never thought id be alive to see it.